Issues with older bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with older bikes?

Is there anything specific to look for regarding possible issues on older bikes? I know there are the usual cohort of possibilities like leaking gaskets, electrical issues, fork seal leaks, etc. I found a good looking 1977 GS750, but am somewhat wary of buying a bike that old, mostly because I've never owned one before. I'm rebuilding the top end of my drz400 and don't want to have 2 project bikes. I understand that wrenching is part of buying an old bike and I'm fine with that. I just want to be smart about buying one, any thoughts appreciated!

Link to bike:

See Top 10 Newbie Mistkes thread linked in my signature.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

No way in hell I'd pay $3500 for some hack-chop bike like that. For that much money I'd expect an unmolested bike that you can tweak to your liking.

And with regards to 40+ year old bikes, either accept that they need work on a regular basis, or buy something newer.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

If you want an older bike, I'd pass on that one.
        Hacked the tail, smaller seat and pods and now it's worth double?
        Even in the crappy pictures you can tell it's running horribly lean. The pipes should be Chrome, not gold and blue
        Mediocre work done by some clueless hack
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

That color on the exh. pipes indicates the engine has been running hot ! I wonder if the valves are still in ok condition..

Comment

We regularly wide the wee out of these old nails for hundreds or thousands of miles. They're exceptionally reliable once you un-do the ravages of time and the dreaded "PO" (Previous Owner). Valve checks are a little more frequent than modern bikes, but that's fairly straightforward.

I haven't seen the insides of the carbs on my GS850 for at least 15 years...

Anyhoo, notice what I said about the dreaded PO. That bike's frame has been hacksawed, the jetting isn't right for the pods and pipe, and Cthulhu alone knows what else that guy has screwed up.

He's monkeyed with the electrics, and WTF is that death trap cable running along the right side of the tank?

Paint looks nice on screen, anyway.

Bikes like that are best avoided unless you need some raw materials and they're really really cheap.

Cafe conversions are just fine with us if they're done right and in the original performance spirit. We're not purists around here. The trouble is, there have been maybe three or four of these in living memory.

The vast majority of "cafe" bikes are abominations like this that pretty much began and ended with hacksawing the rear end off. This seller is trying to abandon a project gone wrong, and asking stupid money.

The bike is old? No problem. We have the knowledge. We can help you make it better, stronger, faster...

The bike has been screwed up by some reality show fan? Problem. Lots of problems.
            Last edited by bwringer; 07-02-2021, 02:11 PM.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              ................... and WTF is that death trap cable running along the right side of the tank?
              The throttle cable??? lol
              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

I concur with everyone else. I would avoid being bitten by that abomination. Nothing but trouble.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

$3500??? Not a penny more than $1500.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I'm sure CA prices are above what I'm accustomed to around here, but not just NO but HECK NO. For $3500 get something really decent.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      No way in hell I'd pay $3500 for some hack-chop bike like that. For that much money I'd expect an unmolested bike that you can tweak to your liking.

And with regards to 40+ year old bikes, either accept that they need work on a regular basis, or buy something newer.
                      I figured as much. Bike prices where I live in CA are pretty high right now, just have to keep looking for a clean one.

That makes sense, thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        If you want an older bike, I'd pass on that one.
                        Hacked the tail, smaller seat and pods and now it's worth double?
                        Even in the crappy pictures you can tell it's running horribly lean. The pipes should be Chrome, not gold and blue
                        Mediocre work done by some clueless hack
                        After looking at it, it's pretty obvious that the build is crap. Looks good from a distance, not up close.
                        Didn't think about the pipe color until you mentioned it, but dead giveaway that something isn't right.
                        I'm going to keep searching for something cleaner, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          We regularly wide the wee out of these old nails for hundreds or thousands of miles. They're exceptionally reliable once you un-do the ravages of time and the dreaded "PO" (Previous Owner). Valve checks are a little more frequent than modern bikes, but that's fairly straightforward.

I haven't seen the insides of the carbs on my GS850 for at least 15 years...

Anyhoo, notice what I said about the dreaded PO. That bike's frame has been hacksawed, the jetting isn't right for the pods and pipe, and Cthulhu alone knows what else that guy has screwed up.

He's monkeyed with the electrics, and WTF is that death trap cable running along the right side of the tank?

Paint looks nice on screen, anyway.

Bikes like that are best avoided unless you need some raw materials and they're really really cheap.

Cafe conversions are just fine with us if they're done right and in the original performance spirit. We're not purists around here. The trouble is, there have been maybe three or four of these in living memory.

The vast majority of "cafe" bikes are abominations like this that pretty much began and ended with hacksawing the rear end off. This seller is trying to abandon a project gone wrong, and asking stupid money.

The bike is old? No problem. We have the knowledge. We can help you make it better, stronger, faster...

The bike has been screwed up by some reality show fan? Problem. Lots of problems.
                          Super informative response, thanks! After looking at it, it's obvious that the conversion wasn't done right. Lots of little issues.
                          I like the cafe look, but am more concerned with finding a quality bike now and not buying a hacked version.
                          If you start with a good base, easy to make it into something nicer. I was getting impatient and want something to ride.
                          Going to keep looking and hopefully something will come along soon. Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                            I'm sure CA prices are above what I'm accustomed to around here, but not just NO but HECK NO. For $3500 get something really decent.
                            It seemed high to me, especially so after looking at it. CA prices are pretty high, but I've seen way cleaner bikes for $2000. It just takes a minute to find them.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                              That color on the exh. pipes indicates the engine has been running hot ! I wonder if the valves are still in ok condition..
                              Something is definitely going on. Taking a closer look helped, definitely not something I want to get into.

Comment

Working...
                              X