Issues with older bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
    I concur with everyone else. I would avoid being bitten by that abomination. Nothing but trouble.
    Thanks, I arrived at the same conclusion after looking at it. I'd end up rebuilding most of it, might as well buy something clean and get it running well before worrying about any conversions. Thanks.

Comment

If I were you, I'd post in the "Bike Wanted" subforum. You might flush one out from a GSR member near you.

Make it clear whether you're wanting something more or less ready to go, or a solid basis for a project, which models appeal to you, and approximately where you are and how far you're willing to travel.

Posting a bike on CrackList is a giant pain in the ass, so there are often folks sort of on the fence about selling that might get in touch for a low-effort, low-drama sale.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        If I were you, I'd post in the "Bike Wanted" subforum. You might flush one out from a GSR member near you.

Make it clear whether you're wanting something more or less ready to go, or a solid basis for a project, which models appeal to you, and approximately where you are and how far you're willing to travel.

Posting a bike on CrackList is a giant pain in the ass, so there are often folks sort of on the fence about selling that might get in touch for a low-effort, low-drama sale.
        Thanks, didn't know there was a forum for that.

I haven't had much luck with CL, FB marketplace has been better. People are more responsive and there are more bikes.

Comment

They are priced pretty high right now in California but I did spot this complete ‘79 GS750 in Pittsburg, Ca. It doesn’t look like much now but it might clean up reasonably (I wouldn’t expect any miracles on the forks or mufflers but you could factor that into a potential offer). it’s implied that it runs which is nice. I checked and it’s out of the DMV system so no back fees to worry about. Could be a good project.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
          Last edited by mattd1205; 07-09-2021, 06:32 AM.
          1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
          1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

Why people won’t even wave a running garden hose over a bike before posting it for sale, I will never understand.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Why people won’t even wave a running garden hose over a bike before posting it for sale, I will never understand.
              I know right. Profound laziness I guess.
              1978 Suzuki GS750

Past bikes owned:
              1978 Suzuki GS750E, 1979 Suzuki GS750E, 1980 Suzuki GS850, 1977 Suzuki GS550, 1969 Honda CB350, 1976 Harley Davidson SS175, 1979 Motobecane 50V, 1978 Puch Maxi, 1977 Puch Newport, 1980 Tomos Bullet, 1978 Motobecane 50VLA, 1978 AMF Roadmaster

Comment

I mean, the hose is literally, Right There!
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I'd be a little surprised if it just started right up without playing with the battery, starting fluid, etc. But it looks complete and price is not sky high. Plus, () it's not on the other side of the continent!
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I would bet that bike could be had for $1k or less. Knowing that it probably needs tires, all fluids changed etc., etc., and etc.
                    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                      I would bet that bike could be had for $1k or less. Knowing that it probably needs tires, all fluids changed etc., etc., and etc.
                      Filters, chain, sprockets, valve adjust...
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Working...
                      X