Oil drain magnet flew off while trying to remove crush washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil drain magnet flew off while trying to remove crush washer

I was drainging the gear oil to check for irregularities as there is oil leaking from the final drive boot. Both the amount and quality of oil seemed pretty standard, not too much, not too little. But a bit more debris inside than I'd like.

The crush washer for the drain plug was stuck, so I tried heating the bolt with a torch. It did nothing to remove the crush washer but the magnet flew off the bolt and hit me in my lips. Can I reattach the magnet? Can I ride without a magnet? And how can I get the crush washer off without injuring my face?
    GS1000G 1981

Wounds heal, chicks dig scars. Know the movie?
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Don't know about re-attaching the magnet. I'm nearly positive that that drain plug would still be available from your dealer or partshark.com or the like.

I've had to cut Oil Pan drain bolt crush washers off using a dremel w/ a cut-off wheel, carefully, to not nick the threads of the bolt.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        Don't know about re-attaching the magnet. I'm nearly positive that that drain plug would still be available from your dealer or partshark.com or the like.

I've had to cut Oil Pan drain bolt crush washers off using a dremel w/ a cut-off wheel, carefully, to not nick the threads of the bolt.
        I will throw the magnet out and ordered new ones (all of them) from cmsnl, some have worn heads, or rust and such.

As for removing the old gasket I used a saw, carefully sawing until I could grab it with pliers, then made a notch for a flat iron to pop it loose and then holding the washer with a vice and turning the bolt with the ratchet. Managed without making more than a tiny chip in the bolt.

I hope riding for a week or two without a magnet won't be catastrophic?
        GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          But a bit more debris inside than I'd like.
          Originally posted by Noreg View Post
          I hope riding for a week or two without a magnet won't be catastrophic?
          Usually, the answer would be no, not a problem at all.
          Since you say there's more debris in there than you would like, riding a week or 2 with or without a magnet sure could be catastrophic.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Working...
          X