I'm an idiot...HA !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm an idiot...HA !

So, after my latest purchase of another GS450S, I decided that it is time to let the '84 GS1100GK go. I got it out of storage and brought it home to get wake it up again. It took next to nothing to get it going again (it is the most reliable bike that I've ever owned) but I was having trouble with rear brake not releasing. The rear brake has always been a bit wonky. I took it apart 3 times, cleaned, reassembled, etc....but the it still was still difficult to roll around and it seemed that stupid brake still would not operate properly.
    Last night after taking it apart once again, I sat down for a minute to think about it. What could it be ?? I am well versed in the braking system and was confident that I did everything correctly. What could it be ?? Then I had this thought....what if it wasn't the rear brake at all....
    Yep. The brakes are locked up and the FRONT wheel would not rotate at all without great force. So , I removed the front calipers and will work on them over the weekend.

Did I mention that I'm an idiot ???
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Funny story! Time for you to take a refresher course in N, S, E & W, up and down, and, of course, front and back.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

We tend to gravitate to the last known problem.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just think Larry, none of us have ever done anything like that before, you're the only one. Be glad you figured it out before someone else did.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
          .. . . . . .
          . . . . . .. . , , , ,. . . . . .
          Yah, we often first suspect the thing that has been problem in past, or the thing we dont like . . . . .

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

"Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again" ... 🤔
            My Motorcycles:
            22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
            22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
            82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
            81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
            79 1000e (all original)
            82 850g (all original)
            80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by storm 64 View Post
              "Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again" ... 樂
              Ha !! I've always heard that...Experience is something you learn immediately after you need it.
              By the way, the rear brakes work great now. Also, if any of you are interested in a pretty nice GK, it will be for sale soon.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Welcome to the Mechanical Moron Club.

Mad
                83 GS750E
                2006 ZX14
                2004 KTM 450 EXC
                2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

I'm a Charter member

Mad
                  83 GS750E
                  2006 ZX14
                  2004 KTM 450 EXC
                  2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

When I sold my original ('73) Z1 some years ago, except for the tank, the bike was rusting in the backyard for a decade. Front brake was locked, and buyer asked if I had a hammer. I had a hammer.
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, why had that bike been sitting for that long?
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Life story. But I had ridden it for a full decade. And the beautiful, original paint tank was safe and warm inside the house.

Comment

Huh. Okay. I've never had a motorcycle that didn't get ridden regularly (okay, with the exception of my brother's CB900f, which is in the process of an astoundingly slow restoration).
                          "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                          ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                          1982 CB900f

Comment

Ugh, the hammer trick. When I bought a parts bike a few years ago I made the mistake of squeezing the front brake, which then refused to release. The seller did the hammer trick. It worked, but knocked the bobbins on the rotors loose.
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Just a quick update. I got the front calipers released, rebuilt and operating normally. I took The Mighty GK out for a little unregistered and unlicensed 10 mile spin yesterday to get some gas in it and generally have a blast !!
                              It runs and rides great as I remember. It is also For Sale !!! Check out the For Sale listing here in the For Sale forum.
                              Larry D
                              1980 GS450S
                              1981 GS450S
                              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
                              X