Bad clutch sign?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad clutch sign?

The last few times I've had the 750 out I've noticed if I get on it kinda hard it acts like it goes into neutral between the 6-7k rpm mark and then "catches" again after that. Does this mean the clutch is slipping at higher rpms? Down low if pulls just fine. It's only once I get into the higher rpm band it acts up.
    Current Bikes:

2019 Indian Chieftain Classic
    1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2018 Indian Chief Dark Horse
    2017 Indian Scout
    2006 Suzuki C50

Mine does this too if I give it full throttle at second gear. I think it might be a worn clutch but I haven't gotten around to fixing it. In general the clutch seems sloppy compared to other bikes Ive riden. I find it convenient for riding around town though.

My symptom is the revs increase, but the speed does not, then the speed increases and the revs goes down and then its back to normal.
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

you mean engine rpms run up but road speed mph doesnt . . . ?

Yah, clutch slipping... and probably slipping some at lowerspeeds/rpm too but just that you dont notice.

Some folks may recommend changing just the clutch springs.
      If clutch friction plates are years old, even if are within the thickness service limits, they are probably hard and not-grabby.
      Get new springs (stock, not drag, not racing) and new friction plates, and you will be amazed at the difference. Will need to learn how to operate a clutch all over again.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I'll second Redman's thoughts. New friction plates and new OEM springs cured my same issues, even though both were in spec.

I would add, a new clutch cable won't hurt ya none. It's not causing the clutch to slip, but if yours is original, it's time. Keep the old one as a spare. Buy OEM, they're not very expensive.

And at very great risk of bodily harm to myself and my family by even mentioning or asking what type of motor oil you're using: What kind of oil are you using?
        Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-09-2021, 02:56 PM.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I have found that simply replacing the springs will do wonders. Only $20 for the set of OEM springs and about $10 for the gasket. If you want to go cheaper than that, just put washers under the existing springs, but you will still need a gasket. Replacing the friction disks adds about $140 to the repair bill.

Comment

And at very great risk of bodily harm to myself and my family buy even mentioning or asking what type of motor oil you're using: What kind of oil are you using?[/QUOTE]

I'll be sure to corner you if we ever meet and bring this question up. lol j/k I originally had Mobil1 10w40 but after leaving the petcock open one day I had to change the oil and went with Valvoline 10w40 this time. And yes, they were both motorcycle formulas. :-)
            Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
            2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

"Leaving the petcock open" It shuts off automatically, unless it needs fixing.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                "Leaving the petcock open" It shuts off automatically, unless it needs fixing.
                Not if it's left in the prime position over night.
                Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
                2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

Don't do that.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

How frustrating is that? You go to the power band because you want power, and the clutch is just slip-sliding away. Gives me chills just to think about it!
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      you mean engine rpms run up but road speed mph doesnt . . . ?

Yah, clutch slipping... and probably slipping some at lowerspeeds/rpm too but just that you dont notice.

Some folks may recommend changing just the clutch springs.
                      If clutch friction plates are years old, even if are within the thickness service limits, they are probably hard and not-grabby.
                      Get new springs (stock, not drag, not racing) and new friction plates, and you will be amazed at the difference. Will need to learn how to operate a clutch all over again.
                      Do the clutch plates have to be OEM? I see they have some cheap ones on ebay.

I have new springs but every time I consider changing them I realize I forwent buying the gasket.

I was suprised when riding the work bikes, their clutches was very grabby compared to my gs.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        Don't do that.
                        It wasn't intentional, I swear.
                        Current Bikes:

1981 Suzuki GS750E

Past Bikes:

2017 Indian Scout
                        2006 Suzuki C50

Comment

I's just poki'n at ya, you ain't the first that has done it.

Comment

Working...
                          X