Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 83 1100E oil 0/W 50W synthetic

Default 83 1100E oil 0/W 50W synthetic

I have a gallon of this and am wondering if anyone has used this weight in a GS. Pros and cons?

Probably more important than the viscosity would be whether the words "Energy Conserving" or something similar appear in the API donut on the rear label. You don't want to see them, they are bad for the clutch.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Pretty sure an oil like that wouldn't fall into the EC spectrum. That said, some people get paranoid with using any oils that is not approved for use in a wet clutch.

Sez SP and I was looking at the wrong gallon in my cabinet, it's 5W 30 full synthetic Valvoline and it does say resource conserving. I could use it in my riding lawnmower instead.

As a general rule the 'energy conserving' oils will be either 20 or 30 weight on the high end of the multigrade rating (eg - 5W20, 5W30, etc.). So anything that is a __W40 or __W50 will not be energy conserving. Also, the diesel oils never seem to be rated as energy conserving and have always worked well for me in motorcycles with wet clutches. My go to oil for my street bikes is Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Quote Originally Posted by mmattockx View Post
    My go to oil for my street bikes is Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic.
    That is mine, as well, but I have noticed lately that there is also a 15w40 T6 full synthetic sitting right next to it. Same blue jug, so you have to be careful which one you grab. I'm sure the 15w would work, especially in the warmer climates, but I prefer the 5w.

As a general rule the 'energy conserving' oils will be either 20 or 30 weight on the high end of the multigrade rating (eg - 5W20, 5W30, etc.). So anything that is a __W40 or __W50 will not be energy conserving. Also, the diesel oils never seem to be rated as energy conserving and have always worked well for me in motorcycles with wet clutches. My go to oil for my street bikes is Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic.

Mark
    Mark,I had tried some other brand synthetic(Castrol Actevo) 10/40 in my bike and it caused a few leaks around gaskets and seals.Have you ever experienced any leaks using the Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic ? I normally run Rotella T4 15/40 non-synthetic and have gone back to it after the way the synthetic oil leaked.
    Last edited by grcamna2; 07-20-2021 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grcamna2 View Post
    Mark,I had tried some other brand synthetic 10/40 in my bike and it caused a few leaks around gaskets and seals.Have you ever experienced any leaks using the Rotella T6 5W40 full synthetic ? I normally run Rotella T4 15/40 non-synthetic and have gone back to it after the way the synthetic oil leaked.
    I have not had an issue with leaks but that is a known side effect of some synthetics as they have better detergent properties than conventional oils and can scrub away the accumulated gunk that is keeping old seals from leaking. I don't have an answer for that aside from switching back to a conventional oil as you have done. There are some guys here that have delved way deeper into the nuances of synthetic oils (they aren't all the same by any means) and may have some better suggestions for dealing with leaks.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

I have not had an issue with leaks but that is a known side effect of some synthetics as they have better detergent properties than conventional oils and can scrub away the accumulated gunk that is keeping old seals from leaking. I don't have an answer for that aside from switching back to a conventional oil as you have done. There are some guys here that have delved way deeper into the nuances of synthetic oils (they aren't all the same by any means) and may have some better suggestions for dealing with leaks.

Mark
    Mark,I'm glad you're able to run Rotella T6 full synthetic in your 1100E without it sprouting leaks;I may try switching to it to see if I have the same results.

Synthetic oil does not cause leaks. It may scrub away the crud that is plugging an existing leak, making you think it causes a leak. It will be up to you whether you repair the cause of the leak or go back to an oil that will plug the leak.

Synthetic oil is not "slipperier" than 'conventional' oil. It will not make your clutch slip. For the most part, oil is oil. Just choose the correct viscosity.

There are some properties of synthetic where it tolerates heat better or will resist wear due to shear or other stuff, and can usually last a bit longer between changes.