Starter button and igniter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter button and igniter?

New to the Forum. I have a 1982 GS650G. Don't know how to post a picture yet.
    Bike stalled, then the starter button wouldn't work.
    Jump started her and went home.
    No click on the solenoid.
    Replaced the starter and on/off switch, and the igniter/solenoid.
    Still no go.
    Where to look next?

I'd think the most prominent cause of starter button not working is the clutch safety switch. Oh yeah, welcome.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Like rphillips said, make sure you have the clutch lever pulled in. There is a starter defeat circuit inline, and can easily be taken out (if you want to. I keep mine intact for reasons). If that isn't your problem, get yourself a wiring diagram from BikeCliff's website (see my signature). A really nice color diagram there for you - Top section, right column. And start chasing 12v from the battery to the start button, then from the start button through the Green/Yellow wire to the starter solenoid. Don't know what you actually replaced. The igniter and solenoid are two different things with different functions.

Info about using Imgur (or any other pic hosting site) to host pictures is also in my signature. This is the best way to post pictures.

Go ahead and create a signature w/ your bike info in it, then you'll never have to remember to type that out when you make a post. Go to settings at the top right of the page. Then look on the left margin for Signature creation links.

Welcome to the forum.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

The solenoid frame needs to be grounded for it to “click” in ....there’s a separate wire for this
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Seems to me the FIRST thing to look at is the fuses, if you've already done that get a meter or test light and check to see if the keyswitch is operating properly.
          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

And i'll add check to ensure the battery itself is good then test your charging system following the quick tests in Rich's signature block
            sigpic
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Thanks guys. I will check the battery. The malfunction was very sudden. I replaced the solenoid (attached to the battery box) and will check its ground. Hard to figure the clutch handle would suddenly croak. Also replaced the start button assembly on the right handlebar. Fuses are all good. Solenoid wire is the yellow/green bastid, right?

Comment

It’s time for you to look at the factory wiring diagram.
                Rich
                1982 GS 750TZ
                2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Zanichbug View Post
                  Jump started her...
                  Do you mean push or 'bump' started? I hear "jump" and I immediately think of jumper cables. (My starter is also dead, didn't get around to attempt push starting before stuff happened. I was thinking starter or solenoid, fuses or clutch switch didn't even occur to me. Thanks guys).

Welcome to the forum.
                  1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Good point Rob. What do you mean by “jump started”?
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Just figured his "jump" meant roll it off & let the clutch out (yes "push" or "bump"), if jumper cables it would be too obvious the batt. was the problem. Fuses & clutch switches normally work fine till they suddenly croak....Just an idea, try the simple stuff first.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

And if you have the old style fuses they can look good but be broken under the caps. Check them with a test light or multimeter to confirm it
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Fuse that powers the starter button-solenoid, is the same fuse for the ignition . . . so, that is not your problem.
                          Same logic applys for the kill swtich since that kills the ignition and the starter button circuit.

Two typical problems with the starter solenoid not operating have both been mentioned here, and those are:
                          - the switch on the clutch lever
                          - the ground wire to the battery box / solenoid mounting bolt.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Okay. I took out the clutch switch, got a new battery, and replaced the starter button. Engine cranks perfectly. Fuel is in the carb bowls, and spark in the plugs. Am I looking at vacuum questions now?

Comment

Maybe dirty carbs if it hasn't run since you first posted in July... If you have flow at the petcock when cranking (suggests yes if the carb bowls are full) then you don't have an issue with vacuum.
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Working...
                              X