No announcement yet.

Starter button and igniter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, fellas, and thanks for the various tips. I got the electrics working perfectly, and she turns over solid with a new battery. New starter button, and new solenoid, both actually old. If I turn the petcock on "res" and fill the bowls, she runs for five minutes, then won't start again. Vacuum problem? Petcock problem? Seems like she drains the bowls in that five minutes?

Comment

if it's working properly, RES and ON pectock positions can't be used to fill empty carb bowls, as they both need vacuum applied in order to flow fuel. RES just has a lower draw point in the gas tank. If bowls are empty, you should put the petcock on PRI (prime) for 20-30 sec, then switch it back to RES or ON. That doesn't explain why your bowls are running dry though. Could be petcock malfunction. Carbs could need a good cleaning (see Ed Ness's BS (CV) carb rebuild tutorial on BikeCliff's website). Could be your gas tank cap vent isn't functioning, not allowing tank to draw in air needed to let the fuel flow through the petcock.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Pet cock on PRI makes the fuel flow wide open, all the time, vac. or no vac. I'd put it on "PRI" & see if it starts, leave it on PRI. to see if it run OK in that position, then turn to "ON", If it runs OK on "PRI" then dies within a few minutes after going to "ON", you have a vac., petcock, or fuel level problem... Just my opinion.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Are there two hoses connected to the petcock?

Are the other ends of those hoses in the proper places?

Comment

Working...
          X