Thread: Epic sunset photos possible starting 7/15

Default Epic sunset photos possible starting 7/15

A Saharan dust storm is suspended in the trade winds headed for the US right now. Dust in the air is the orange in the sunset, so get your cameras ready. The dust cloud is being carried by the same winds that bring many of the hurricanes to the US every year. The dust is heavy that is on its way, some places will possibly accumulations of the dust.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Pretty cool sunset going on here in northeast Ohio tonight! The sun is a bright orange right now. 🌞
    My Motorcycles:
    21 Triumph Tiger 900 GT (coming to a town near you)
    16 Yamaha FJR1300 (Probably been to a town near you)
    82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
    81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
    79 1000e (all original)
    82 850g (all original)
    82 750e (parts Bike)
    80 KZ650f (needs restored)

Nothing much to see here but my friends in Michigan are diggin' the heck out of it.
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100 (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

Not ALL conspiracy theories are false. If it's on the radio, TV AND the internet (with pictures) then it's true. If it shows up in print, it always will be. www.birdsarentreal.com

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Heck, sunrise looks just as nice but I always forget to grab the camera on the way to the gym (phone's camera would blow out the sky).

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Scott, check out this video on adjusting and locking exposure with the iPhone’s camera.

I used this to darken the sky before taking this:

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

About phone camera exposure adjust:
    Thanks Rich. I have known about the touch-screen-to-adjust-exposure to that portion of the view as being a fairly common function of most all digital cameras (if any touch function).
    I didn’t know about the slider adjust ,nor the touch-hold for the exposure/focus hold function. (My excuse will
    be that iphone5 ios10 did not have that.) now that I have iphone8 (ios12?), I will be using that immeadiatly.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

Redman is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

I cant say anything about Saharan sunset, but about Midwest USA sunset I can say:
    recent evening the sunset has been quite different. The sky not turning pink-orange. The sky more of a dusky grey-blue and not changing as sun lowers , and is no different close to the sun as compared to away from the sun. And sun just fades away before gets to horizon. (Maybe Might post some pics.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.

I don't know if this has anything to do with the Saharan desert but this is the view from my brother's sundeck yesterday .....

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
    Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
    1983 GS 750

Those are great pics. We also are entering a time of year when we have a lot of small meteors entering the atmosphere. A little trivia..remember they are meteor's until they hit the earth, when they touch down they become Meteorites. Aug, 10th to the 20th there will be nights when there are over 100 per hour. I saw 7 last night being outside for 4 hours chillin and grilling. If you are chillin outside looking at sunsets, and searching for meteors watch for the ISS (International Space Station). It's orbit constantly changes. It can be seen a little after sundown. Look on the net for spotthestation.nasa.gov they have a map of when it is in your area. The location, and the time of day have to line up to see it well. You can see it during the day, just like the moon when it is in the sky in the daytime. It is so so faint, and you need binoculars to see it during the day. Ideally the sun needs to be below the horizon enough where it is dark, but high enough to still be illuminating the space station. I was visible over the US about a week ago. During this magic hour you can also see orbiting satellites every night because the sun lights them up too. Satellites move very fast and there are normally dozens of them a night.
    Last edited by metalfab; 07-21-2021 at 10:42 AM.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle