please explain soda blasting process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please explain soda blasting process

so i'm about to disassemble the carbs to clean them, and im seeing and hearing good things about soda blasting, i have the quipment to make a DIY blaster, but that i'm not finding is a step-by-step guide for this process. all the videos and articles and posts just say 'soda blast them'. but i need to know a little more than that.

can blasting be used on ALL non-rubber parts, like jets, needles, etc?
    i assume blasting leaves a ton of powder on everything. what do i do to clean that stuff off the carb?
    what kind of pre- or post-blasting treatments should i do, like wd-40/carb cleaner? pinesol? straight water?
    1985 Suzuki GS450L

Soda blasting is for the outside of the carbs only. It's to dress up the cosmetics. It's good to do after the carbs are fully broken down, but not as an assembled rack because the grit will remove zinc plating from the steel parts which will lead to premature rusting.

As for cleaning your carbs, check the tutorial linked in my signature.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

what kind of dip should i use? i can't get those buckets of cleaner where i'm at.
      these carbs have been sitting for at least 2 months that i know of, and are dumping gas into the airbox when starting and idling (only idles for about 30 seconds max)
      1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

You’re in PA, you Should be able to get Berryman Chem dip at just about any auto parts store, Lowe’s, etc.

Welcome to the forum. As it happens, the wife and I are coming out to Ohiopyle in a few weeks. Beautiful area, but most of PA is.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

nobody around here carries it. i'd have to go to the pittsburgh area to find it, and that's way too far.
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Amazon is always just a click away. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=berryman+..._ts-doa-p_3_17
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
              nobody around here carries it. i'd have to go to the pittsburgh area to find it, and that's way too far.
              If an auto parts chain store doesn't have it on the shelf they can usually get it in a couple of days.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

small update
                i just found out i have access to a small, 2.5L 50w 40kHz ultrasonic cleaner. big enough for one carb at a time, but ive got plenty of time to waste
                what should i put in it?
                1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

small update
                  i just found out i have access to a small, 2.5L 50w 40kHz ultrasonic cleaner. big enough for one carb at a time, but ive got plenty of time to waste
                  what should i put in it?
                  Plain water will do just fine.
                  It's the cavitation that does the cleaning not any additives.
                  Use the ultrasonic as the final stage in the usual cleaning process and make sure the carbs are thoroughly degreased as any soft residue will absorb the shock waves.
                  Also be sure the body is bare and stripped of every individual part.
                  The cleaning process can cause microscopic wear between individual mating components.
                  Mikuni Viton Choke Plunger Seat Renewal.
                  VITON Choke plunger seals .KAWASAKI Z1,Z900,Z650,Z1000,Z1R,SUZUKI GS1000,GSXR,RF | eBay

Air Corrector Jets for Mikuni VM 24, 26 and 28mm carbs .
                  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254380193...84.m1555.l2649

sigpic

Comment

small update
                    what should i put in it?
                    Experiment what works best for you. We've discussed some options in this thread here: click. Personally, I simply use distilled water with some dish-washing liquid and sometimes some citric acid, others dilute carb dip...find out what works best for you, and maybe share with the forum. Just, never, ever use acetone - it easily ignites in an ultrasonic cleaner.
                    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

what kind of dip should i use? i can't get those buckets of cleaner where i'm at.
                      these carbs have been sitting for at least 2 months that i know of, and are dumping gas into the airbox when starting and idling (only idles for about 30 seconds max)
                      That is a symptom of a stuck float or float valve is leaking
                      82 GS650E (Canadian), 83 XS650SK (Canadian), Main machines Running
                      Aussie, 74 TX650A, 80 XS650SG, 81XS650SH, 80XS850, in various states of repair/disrepair
                      Introduction and ongoing thread for myGS650Ez
                      Albums

Comment

update: pulled the carbs apart.
                        left side carb looks real good

right side carb is missing a float post. the post was NOT in the bowl.

been looking most of the day, and i cannot find a replacement anywhere.

guess im *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ out of luck on this bike
                        1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

update: pulled the carbs apart.
                          left side carb looks real good

right side carb is missing a float post. the post was NOT in the bowl.

been looking most of the day, and i cannot find a replacement anywhere.

guess im *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ out of luck on this bike
                          Is the post gone or the pin?
                          1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                          1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                          LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                            Is the post gone or the pin?
                            the whole post is gone. the pin is there, but its bent up a little, which im guessing was causing the float to stick and flood the carb.

no idea how or if it can be fixed. pics in link

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by SkyfangR; 07-14-2021, 02:27 PM.
                            1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

another pic
                              1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Working...
                              X