No announcement yet.

please explain soda blasting process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sucks. POS PO strikes again. Someone in the bike's past knew about the broken float post. Same guy that buggered the pilot jet hole threads.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-14-2021, 03:01 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

lucky me. a set of carbs literally just popped up on ebay. snapped em up. they look pretty funky but thats nothing my USC and some elbow grease cant fix
      1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Please read the carb rebuild tutorial in my signature. It shows how to extract the float pin without busting the float post.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Please read the carb rebuild tutorial in my signature. It shows how to extract the float pin without busting the float post.
          i didn't break the post. or dent the pin. when i pulled the bowl off, this is how it was.
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Skyfang, Whether you did it or not, Ed literally wrote the book on how to properly work on these carbs. He’s just giving sound advice so you don’t make the same mistakes.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              Skyfang, Whether you did it or not, Ed literally wrote the book on how to properly work on these carbs. He’s just giving sound advice so you don’t make the same mistakes.
              When I rebuilt my 450 carbs the tutorial was invaluable, I managed to get it close enough to right the first time.
              1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
              1982 GS450txz (former bike)
              LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
                i didn't break the post. or dent the pin. when i pulled the bowl off, this is how it was.
                Nobody said you did – it's just so you don't repeat PO's mistake.

Seems to be a design mistake on the CV's, the pins came out very easily on my VM's (or maybe the dies were either very fresh or very worn out when the bodies of my carbs were cast).
                #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                  i understand that. and i've actually printed his tut out and laminated it so i can keep it in my work area.
                  it is very good, and ill be using it when i disassemble the new set i just ordered to replace these *@%^$*@%^$*@%^$*@%^$ty ones.
                  1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

The magic occurs when you put Berrymans in the ultrasonic cleaner. I was amazed the first time I did it. It only takes about 5 minutes. Water does fine, chemdip gets medieval with it. Remember if you buy Chemdip there are two different types. The 0996 is the consumer grade product it does clean good, and it can eat aluminum if you leave it soaking too long. The 0905 chemdip is aluminum safe it has a completely different chemistry. The 0905 is the professional strength chemdip, and is way stronger than the 0996. It is odd that the weaker product eats aluminum, and the professional 0905 does not bother aluminum. Don't use heat if you put chemdip in the ultrasonic cleaner, the 0905 boils at 110F. If you get it boiling the fumes are indescribably strong, like ammonia strong. And yes I actually did that, and it was bad. The carbs sure looked good once I got the fumes out of the shop. Ultrasound transcends metal cans. You can fill the ultrasonic cleaner with water and set a metal can with chemdip and carb parts down into the ultrasonic cleaner. When you turn the machine on the can is invisible to the ultrasound, the parts in the can get cleaned like they were in the main tank. This helps to keep the machine clean.
                    1981 GS1100E
                    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                    X