Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vetter Windjammer suitcase and fairing - how does this work

more pictures - > https://imgur.com/a/KaOjhCV

I bought this kit, mainly because I want the luggage. But the rear case, does that replace the current glove box and rear combination light? Is it possible to get a new side mirror, one appear to be missing?

I am confused as to what the extra headlight and indicators are for. But one of the indicator glasses are cracked, so if its the same its great.

It was 1000 nok, and the seller delivered it to my mother half an hour away (22 hours away from me, so I will have to wait for a bit to pick it up). By a while, I mean until the weekend, Ill drive down in the car.

I am not sure about the wind shield, it seems a bit excessive. But I migt give it a try.

Edit: If the windshield is as unclear as it seems, can I get a new one?
    GS1000G 1981

I cut the wind shield down on mine with a spiral saw. It was too scratchy to see through and caused way too much drag.
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Side bags and trunk need to
      mount to brackets that mount to your bike. (I see what looks like some
      brackets there. ) Those brackets need to be somewhat specific to your bike model, where many different brackets made for various models of bikes back then. Did seller say what bike it
      came
      from?
      no, does not replace the (glove box) tail piece.
      might have to relocate rear turn signals. Or maybe the side cases have turn signal
      ligjts in them.

same for fairing, it needs to have bracket that mounts to bike frame. And that bracket needs to be somewhat specific to your bike. Did seller say what bike it came off of?
      and there should be a wiring harness that comes with the fairing.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I had a jammer 3 or 4 (III or IV) , don’t recall which, that came with my 850g. Would be
        from
        early ‘80s., maybe mid ‘80s.

I still have electronic copy of install manaul. I could email to you if you would
        like. Maybe Friday or
        saturday.

I like to say big fairing like that will extend your riding season…. But you already ride in what seems
        like extreme conditions to
        me.
        Last edited by Redman; 07-14-2021, 08:08 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome to the Darker Side, Noreg.

Just ask here... (and there's lots of other stuff too).

Windjammer Fairing, Cycle Sound, Craig Vetter, Motorcycle Forum
          ---- Dave
          79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
          80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
          79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
          92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            I had a jammer 3 or 4 (III or IV) , don’t recall which, that came with my 850g. Would be
            from
            early ‘80s., maybe mid ‘80s.

I still have electronic copy of install manaul. I could email to you if you would
            like. Maybe Friday or
            saturday.

I like to say big fairing like that will extend your riding season…. But you already ride in what seems
            like extreme conditions to
            me.

Noreg,I think your Vetter fairing is one of the later models which offered more protection and was more aerodynamic than the early model Windjammer.I imagine there is an identification tag inside the fairing to tell you exactly which model it is.That is a nice looking Vetter fairing
            Last edited by grcamna2; 07-15-2021, 04:17 PM.

Comment

You might try going to craigvetter.com and look for Vetter Fairings at the top of the page. Hope it helps.
              1980 GS1000E

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
                I am confused as to what the extra headlight and indicators are for.
                My Kaw Z1 had one headlight for use with the Vetter, another for naked running.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I am confused as to what the extra headlight and indicators are for. .......
                  Maybe because when install fairing had to remove the bikes headlight and front t/signals. ANd when install the bags have to remove rear the t/signals also.
                  ANd then later someone took off the fairing and bags back off the bike, but for some reason didnt reinstall the take-offs, and those somewhow went with the fairng and bags instead of going with the bike.

And what happens alot is they leave the fairing harness on the bike instead of it going with the fairing.
                  Last edited by Redman; 07-16-2021, 10:59 PM.

Comment

I had to make most of the parts to mount my vetter fairing. I had taken it off of a 72 Titan 500. Put it on a gs1000g. It's not pretty. I could put up a picture or two.
                    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                    82 gs1100L probably the next project
                    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                      Side bags and trunk need to
                      mount to brackets that mount to your bike. (I see what looks like some
                      brackets there. ) Those brackets need to be somewhat specific to your bike model, where many different brackets made for various models of bikes back then. Did seller say what bike it
                      came
                      from?
                      no, does not replace the (glove box) tail piece.
                      might have to relocate rear turn signals. Or maybe the side cases have turn signal
                      ligjts in them.

same for fairing, it needs to have bracket that mounts to bike frame. And that bracket needs to be somewhat specific to your bike. Did seller say what bike it came off of?
                      and there should be a wiring harness that comes with the fairing.
                      The listing saiud it was for a 1980 gs1000g. But he said it came off a 1981. Since all the lights were there I am guessing someone bought the bike to butcher it and build some generric cafe racer or something.
                      GS1000G 1981

Comment

The listing saiud it was for a 1980 gs1000g. But he said it came off a 1981. Since all the lights were there I am guessing someone bought the bike to butcher it and build some generric cafe racer or something.
                        Keep in mind that the 81 models started around mid-year of 80 so yet registration could have been listed as 80 depending on how your local government does things
                        sigpic
                        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This may be the same manual Redman offered, but if you need it I can scan and email it too you.

20210717_170735 by Roger, on Flickr
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A
                          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

The listing saiud it was for a 1980 gs1000g. But he said it came off a 1981.
                            '80 and '81 are virtually the same, as long as they were both "G" models (shafties).
                            The '80 and '81 850s also shared the same frame, so it would fit them, too.
                            If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Turns out the Mercedes A-class is a rather small car (who would have thunk?), so I left the fairing and brought the bags and the mounts. The fairing was a Pharaoh or somesuch (Panthera?) reproduction and lacked the wires. I am more interessted in the bags anyways, not like it ever gets cold here (and they don't sell studded tyres in the right dimensions so winter riding isn't possible :/).

It is lacking the harness for the top box too, but I wonder if I need need it. Side bags and rack on top should be sufficient, but the missus wants the back rest.

Since its rusty and has bad paint I need to rub it with some autosol and have it repainted before I mount it.

I just got the rubber half moons so I will change the cylinder head gasket, and check the valve clearance, and deal with the cam chain tensioner. Hmm, this is turning into work...
                              GS1000G 1981

Comment

Working...
                              X