Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vetter Windjammer suitcase and fairing - how does this work

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    Side bags and trunk need to
    mount to brackets that mount to your bike. (I see what looks like some
    brackets there. ) Those brackets need to be somewhat specific to your bike model, where many different brackets made for various models of bikes back then. Did seller say what bike it
    came
    from?
    no, does not replace the (glove box) tail piece.
    might have to relocate rear turn signals. Or maybe the side cases have turn signal
    ligjts in them.

same for fairing, it needs to have bracket that mounts to bike frame. And that bracket needs to be somewhat specific to your bike. Did seller say what bike it came off of?
    and there should be a wiring harness that comes with the fairing.
    The listing saiud it was for a 1980 gs1000g. But he said it came off a 1981. Since all the lights were there I am guessing someone bought the bike to butcher it and build some generric cafe racer or something.
    GS1000G 1981

cowboyup3371 is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Noreg View Post
    The listing saiud it was for a 1980 gs1000g. But he said it came off a 1981. Since all the lights were there I am guessing someone bought the bike to butcher it and build some generric cafe racer or something.
    Keep in mind that the 81 models started around mid-year of 80 so yet registration could have been listed as 80 depending on how your local government does things

Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Burque73 is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

This may be the same manual Redman offered, but if you need it I can scan and email it too you.

20210717_170735 by Roger, on Flickr
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by Noreg View Post
    The listing saiud it was for a 1980 gs1000g. But he said it came off a 1981.
    '80 and '81 are virtually the same, as long as they were both "G" models (shafties).
    The '80 and '81 850s also shared the same frame, so it would fit them, too.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Turns out the Mercedes A-class is a rather small car (who would have thunk?), so I left the fairing and brought the bags and the mounts. The fairing was a Pharaoh or somesuch (Panthera?) reproduction and lacked the wires. I am more interessted in the bags anyways, not like it ever gets cold here (and they don't sell studded tyres in the right dimensions so winter riding isn't possible :/).

It is lacking the harness for the top box too, but I wonder if I need need it. Side bags and rack on top should be sufficient, but the missus wants the back rest.

Since its rusty and has bad paint I need to rub it with some autosol and have it repainted before I mount it.

I just got the rubber half moons so I will change the cylinder head gasket, and check the valve clearance, and deal with the cam chain tensioner. Hmm, this is turning into work...
    GS1000G 1981