No announcement yet.

No spark!! Need help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just disconnected the kill button I have since I think the momentary switch is suppose to be the start and also kill, I don’t think it needs a separate button. I believe I have it correct. My electronic ignition is reading 30ohm of resistance so I’m guessing that can be an issue? It’s suppose to be 20ohms max according to owners manual. And after that all I have left is CDI. I just compression test and all four cylinder was at 110 (cold) so higher if it was tested warm. I tested everything else already, with good parts on a different bike.

Comment

In stock configuration:
      - power from battery goes through main fuse to ignition switch, back to fusebox, through ignition fuse, then to kill switch.
      - from the kill switch power then goes to the starter button and the coils/ignitor.
      - power from the starter button goes through the clutch 'safety' switch to the starter solenoid (many of us have bypassed the clutch switch)
      - power from the kill switch goes through the coils, then the ignitor to ground. The ignitor is just a box of transistors that replaces mechanical points. Nothing exotic, not "CDI", just a box of transistors.

I have seen several mentions of M-units, but most of them were installed by choice, not by necessity, to replace a harness. Part of your problem is that there are far too many unknowns. Eliminate them one by one, you'll get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldozaaa View Post
        I just disconnected the kill button I have since I think the momentary switch is suppose to be the start and also kill, I don’t think it needs a separate button. I believe I have it correct..
        Without you describing how you have it wired, I have no idea if it’s correct or not. But if you believe you have it correct, that’s what matters.............
        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

That was very good info! Thanks man. Ima trace it like you said, probably look up how to bypass the clutch safety switch in the meantime while I’m waiting for the pickup to deliver. I had no choice to switch to m unit or buy a new harness which is pricy as well. I wanted to add other stuff as well like tach and a few other things and I figured the m unit would let me get rid of the bundle of wiring. But thanks for the tips, I’ll test out those things and report back.

Comment

Sorry, let me try the testing sequence for the no spark, I would tell you how it’s wired to the m unit, but I haven’t had time to sit there and write it out, but I will if I still can’t figure it out. I already know that I don’t have the starter button wired to the clutch safety switch that runs into the solenoid. So I will check that tomorrow and if that’s not the solution then I’ll do my wiring diagram. Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X