Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axle holder stud

Hi,
    Haven't worked on the bike for a while but finally getting back to a few last jobs on the GSX1100EZ (GS1100E in US I think).
    Newly fitted fork oil seals were weeping slightly so stripped forks and fitted new ones after a good clean up so hope that is sorted.
    When refitting the wheel, found that one of the axle clamp studs had a damaged thread.
    Ordered replacement Suzuki part but when this arrived it has a lot shorter thread length into the fork leg than the original and I'm a bit worried about this being OK to use.
    Original part number is 01411-08308 superseded by 01411-0830A and difference in length is around 5mm.
    Any advice welcome...

Cheers,
    Andy
    Attached Files

I wouldn't be happy with that, either.
    The original stud length into the alloy is more proper.
    That short stud end is more like what you'd find if it were going into steel or cast iron.
    Looking them up, it seems that Zuk have been supplying the short one for years. Not sure what's in mine, but I doubt if it's the short ones.
    I'd go looking for a proper (original) length one, iiwy.
    I think somebody at Zuk has rationalised common fittings and decided to use one 8mm stud across everything, even where it flies against common sense and good practice. If it was one of the carb fitting studs on the two strokes I'd not be bothered, but something that if it comes out might cause you some real grief, I'd use the proper one.
    Last edited by Grimly; 07-15-2021, 01:46 PM.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Thanks Grimly,
      That was my thinking - it seems bizarre to have shortened the fixing on the superseded part.
      I've got a spare fork leg in the shed so I'll try and get one of the old studs off that if possible and hopefully can use that instead.

Cheers,
      Andy

Comment

Could shaft drive vs. chain models be confusing the issue?
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Thanks all,
          Didn't feel right at all so luckily was able to get one out of a spare fork leg and use that instead.

Cheers,
          Andy

Comment

Working...
          X