Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting motorcycle fuel

Default Interesting motorcycle fuel

Here's a quick little article on how an engineering student converted a Honda 160 to run on swamp gas. Not super practical but then again you'd probably never have to deal with The Great Mumongous in the dystopian future!

https://interestingengineering.com/d...ne-from-a-pond
    1983 Naked Goldwing Interstate GL1100 (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

Not ALL conspiracy theories are false. If it's on the radio, TV AND the internet (with pictures) then it's true. If it shows up in print, it always will be. www.birdsarentreal.com

Looks 'bog' standard
    Tom

Judging from the headlines today, his pond is probably several miles out in the North Sea at this point -- but I suppose it's better to convert methane into carbon dioxide in a combustion chamber than to release it directly into the atmosphere.
    '77 GS550B
    '78 GS550C

It is amazing the fuels an engine can run on. Most gasoline engines will run on diesel if you get the engine hot and switch over to diesel. It does degrade performance. All fuels considered Hydrogen is the only way to go. When you burn hydrogen the only emission is water vapor.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by metalfab View Post
    It is amazing the fuels an engine can run on. Most gasoline engines will run on diesel if you get the engine hot and switch over to diesel. It does degrade performance. All fuels considered Hydrogen is the only way to go. When you burn hydrogen the only emission is water vapor.
    It worked out great for the Hindenburg.
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    I don't know this for sure but I think the Hindenburg used conventional or maybe diesel ICE.

Interesting misconception about the safety of Hydrogen, it's safer than petrol. Hydrogen when it evaporates goes up in the air and burns its self out very quickly whereas petrol when it evaporates is heavier and pools on the ground causing a much more extensive fire danger.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    Perhaps the best fortune-telling event ever: With its proud display of the symbol/flag of Nazi Germany, it accurately predicted the future.
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE

An alternative clean burning fuel would save the vintage cars and motorcycles from eventual extinction in the wild and relegation to museums. I gotta feeling the cost would be prohibitive for most of us.

Quote Originally Posted by argonsagas View Post
    Perhaps the best fortune-telling event ever: With its proud display of the symbol/flag of Nazi Germany, it accurately predicted the future.
    It should've been the last we saw of Nazism/fascism but it's still very much with us today...recall that quote "those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it"

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by wyly View Post
    I don't know this for sure but I think the Hindenburg used conventional or maybe diesel ICE.

The gas bags of the Hindenburg were filled with hydrogen. The cause of the fire was due to a discharge of atmospheric electricity near a gas leak on the dirigible's surface.
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.