New Member: 750E vs 850G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Member: 750E vs 850G

Thanks for having me. I used to ride a good old 80' 850G shafty and now I am back on two wheels with an 80' 750E , chain drive. This bike was a one owner that a member here passed on to me ( he told me join up over here). Many differences in the 750 and 850, looking forward to exploring this "new" bike. Seems to be a little taller in the saddle, which I like and a little bit lighter too.

Thanks for having me, I'll be poking around the forum!

Congrats on the ride & welcome. 850 G a little heavier but smoother, 750 E a little lighter but way dirtier, that dang chain lube slinging off on everything. Valve adj. way easier on the "80" 750, You'll hate the fuel valve on the "80" 750E, no res. & hard to tell if on ON or Pri. I'm not sure I ever figured it out. Good luck & the main thing be careful.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by old750 View Post
      T. . . . . . . . !
      Welcome to TheGSR.

THanks for the introduction.
      (Pics would be good too.)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
        Congrats on the ride & welcome. 850 G a little heavier but smoother, 750 E a little lighter but way dirtier, that dang chain lube slinging off on everything. Valve adj. way easier on the "80" 750, You'll hate the fuel valve on the "80" 750E, no res. & hard to tell if on ON or Pri. I'm not sure I ever figured it out. Good luck & the main thing be careful.
        Hey, R. So what am I missing about the fuel petcock? I am pretty sure I have a reserve, will have to double check

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
          Welcome to TheGSR.

THanks for the introduction.
          (Pics would be good too.)
          I'm not keen on these forums and can't seem to get a picture to upload. This is like old technology in here a little bit I think.

Also I can't figure out why it doesn't put the threads in order from beginning to end, shows the end first

Comment

Originally posted by old750 View Post
            Also I can't figure out why it doesn't put the threads in order from beginning to end, shows the end first
            Unfortunately, that is the default, but you can change it.
            - Click on the "Settings" tab in the top-right corner.
            - Scroll down the left side to the "My Account" area and click on "General Settings".
            - Scroll down to the "Thread Display Options" area, look for "Thread Display Mode".
            - Change that to "Linear - Oldest First".

While you are there, if you have a decent (fast) internet connection, change the number of posts shown to 40 per page. that cuts down on the number of times you have to reload the page on a longer thread.

Be sure to scroll to the very bottom of the page to Save Changes.

Comment

Maybe you're lucky & someone has changed your pet cock, but many of the "80" GS's didn't have a Res. I'm thinking if yours has a screwdriver slot instead of a little lever there is only ON & PRI. Only did it in "80", in "81" they went back to the orig., way better, ON, PRI., RES.
              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Welcome or is it welcome back? The 16v engine has some different characteristics to the 8v in the 850G, you'll definitely notice the lower weight as you say
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Welcome to the site. I had an 850GL, then a 750E. I ended up selling the 750E because although it was a beautiful bike in top condition, I had more fun on the GL. Then a couple years ago I got a nice 850G and it's just absolutely the perfect bike for me.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                    Maybe you're lucky & someone has changed your pet cock, but many of the "80" GS's didn't have a Res. I'm thinking if yours has a screwdriver slot instead of a little lever there is only ON & PRI. Only did it in "80", in "81" they went back to the orig., way better, ON, PRI., RES.
                    When I bought the bike I got a bunch of parts. Today I found the old petcock and its just how you describe it and nothing like the one that is on it!

Comment

Got to wonder why they ever thought that old "80" pet cock was a good idea. Glad yours has been taken care of.

Comment

You have to admit that it was a lower profile. However, the DISadvantages far outweigh that one advantage.

Comment

Working...
                        X