81 GS650E rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS650E rebuild

I have an 81 GS650E im rebuilding and need some help doing it. I have missing parts on it and Im not sure what i need to get to get it started. This is my first goal. I bought a new battery, wire harness, ignition coils, and start switch for it. I have an air box but nothing else with it. Can anyone help me to understand where to get the parts i need? I already tried babbitonline for the air box assembly but there out of the parts i need.
    Last edited by B-Rad81GS650; 07-20-2021, 09:55 AM. Reason: adding photo
    1981 GS650E

Welcome to the forum.

Lots of useful links for you in my Signature. Go ahead and create your own signature to include, at least, your bike year and model. Go to Settings at the top right of any page, then follow the signature creation links in the left margin.

Start w/ the Top 10 list, linked in my signature.

Follow the Imgur link to learn one of the best way to post pictures on the forum. Because we LOVE pictures.

The link to BikeCliff's website in my signature will lead you to the factory service manual and wiring harness you NEED for this bike, as well as a multitude of DIY articles to help you with everything that's wrong with your bike.

To research past posts on this site to look for solutions for problems, you MUST use Advanced Search, type the keyword(s) for your search, and you MUST change the search criteria to search TITLES ONLY.

Some parts for your bike are not available NOS (new old stock) any longer from dealers and sites like Babbittsonline.com, partshark.com, and others, but many still are. And for those parts that are, OEM (original equipment manufacturer) is usually best quality, from your local dealer (some will actually work to get you the parts you need and appreciate your business) or one of the online sellers.

For parts not available new any longer, you will have to comb eBay or put up a request in the parts wanted forum on this site.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Thank you rich. Ill start by adding photos and keeping up on my progress along the way. Ill also check out those other websites you mentioned. Ill also check out the bikecliff’s website. Thanks again for your help.
      1981 GS650E

Comment

Welcome.
        Here here is a top notch resto thread on the same bike.
        Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
        sigpic
        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
        -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
        -Rusty old scooter.
        Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
        https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks Glen, I appreciate the help. I’ll definitely check it out.
          1981 GS650E

Comment

Hey, so the I’m having a hard time finding the air box assymbly for my bike. I have found one full assymbly for a 550E ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/124710920967) but I’m not sure if it’ll fit a GS650E? Does anyone know if it will?

Just in case the link doesn’t work, its for a 1977 1978 1979 Suzuki GS550 GS550E air cleaner filter airbox intake ASSY.

1981 GS650E

Comment

I’d say chances are slim to none.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Working...
              X