GS 1100E back to stock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100E back to stock

Hi all, after 38 years I'm going back to my original exhaust, carbs and airbox. Will use a K and N filter and am wondering if original jetting will have any issues with it?

Choice of filter is irrelevant. It's the lack of airbox that requires different jetting.
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Pictures, please. Before, during and after it's restoration (rebirth?).
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Everything OEM except K&N filter in the orig. air box? orig. jetting will be fine. If it were me, I'd go up a size or 2 on the pilots, These bikes stock were a little cold natured, this minor change will make them a little less cold natured. No big deal either way. Good luck & like he said, pictures are great, then we could tell if "red1100" was "80", "82", or "83", all three yrs. came in red.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

I have owned my 1100ED from new. Stock. 'Conventional' air filter. Even after 15,000 miles of riding...smoky forest fire air etc. filter appears clean. Still have the OEM removable foam sock that slips easily over filter element. Carb changes: 115 main, 47.5 pilot (from 112.5 and 45) Perfect throttle response. For sure the 115 livened up mid range and top end pull. Located a set of Canadian spec adjustable needles....seat of the pants dyno....pulls harder still. Jetting A ok even at 7,500 feet elevation (Connor Pass)
          Last edited by Grand Rouge; 07-21-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

It's an 83 I bought new at Portland Suzuki in August that year.I don't have any before pics cause it's been modified from day 1.Still have the original exhaust and airbox that I took off that summer.I keep trying to download pics but this new laptop has other ideas. It was BOTM a year or two back in April? Somewhere around there. Good pic then.
            Last edited by red1100; 07-21-2021, 02:44 PM.

Comment

After going through the OG carbs,cleaning and new gaskets I had a refreshingly fun day in my 80 degree shop wrestling with the carb boots,carbs,airbox boots and airbox assembly.A good 6 hours of pure joy. I replaced the chrome jardine 4 to 1 with my OG stock pipes also. Did'nt go to a K&N air filter since I had a new original still in it.Tomorrow have to go to Walmart so will take it for a ride. More later.

Comment

Working...
              X