Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What headlight/housing do I have?? 6" round on '81 GS1100E

RS, just for reference, this is a 7 headlight.

So here is the headlight, I'm measuring across the outside diameter (OD) of the reflector/lens of the light itself. As you can see, this is right at 6". There is a slight rim on reflector that sticks out maybe another 1/8" or so, where it registers up against the inside of the front bezel. So maybe max OD is 6 1/4" or so.

My 16" vernier calipers at work so I can't accurately measure the OD of the entire housing/bezel itself, but with a tape measure its almost exactly 7". Here are some additional pictures of the housing itself. This housing assembly does not match the parts diagrams I am seeing for any of the round headlight GS model I can find (including the "L" model). Also note that the reflector is held into the front bezel with just these spring clips, no screws or aiming adjustment mechanisms. Unless you guys can set me straight, I am suspecthing this is not a factory suzuki part from another model, but rather cribbed from another bike? or some generic aftermarket unit? If the former you'd think it would have aiming adjustments built into it, and if the latter you'd expect to be in one of the more common sizes (all the aftermakret round lights/led kits i find seem to be in 5 3/4" (for Harleys) and 7", this 6" seems to be a bit of redheaded step-child as far as sizes go).

So what do you guys think? Any ideas where this headlight came from? Or I guess, since the quality isnt; great and It's a paint to aim/adjust anyways... are you guys aware of a round headlight assembly that would bolt in between the OE headlight mounting brackets meant for the "lunchbox" rectangular headlight that came stock on my 81? Since this (apparently not even OE) assembly can be made to fit on them, I'm hoping/assuming a more common 7" setup from a similar-year GS likely will as well? Anyone have any experience with this? What do most other guys with an 81 using the lunchbox light do when they want to swap it out for a round one?

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

That doesn't look like the L one to me... it's from another brand I would guess.

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Sorry, not a clue where it may be from, but for sure it's 6".
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Well, I'm not a huge fan of this light in general, and considering its not original, and doesn't seem to be from any other GS, and isnt even easily adjustable, I'm thinking of just scrapping it. Which of course raises question of what housing to replace it with? Does anyone know if the standard 7" housings used on most of the round-light GSs (something like this one for instance https://www.ebay.com/itm/13356358318...UAAOSwjGxfn3bX ) will bolt right up to the factory mounting brackets used on the rectangular "lunchbox" style headlight that came on my '81 1100E? If anyone has one of these or a similar 7" headlight assembly, would it be possible for you to take an approximate measurement of the width between the two mounting bolt holes on the housing? My hope is I can buy something like the one I linked above and make it work easily. I'm assuming I'm not the first guy to want to switch from the lunchbox headlight to a round one, hopefully its an easy swap.

Looks like the one in your link is also 6" & from an "L" model. I don't know how to do links, but go to ebay & put in 1978 Suzuki GS750E complete headlight, there's one there that may be something to look at.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Looks like the one in your link is also 6" & from an "L" model.
    LOL of course it is . I think i copy/pasted the url from the wrong tab, thats not the one i meant to link to. oh well. Now i cant find the one i had intended to link, but I suspect its same/similar to the one you mention.