Relay for CDI to M Unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relay for CDI to M Unit.

So I have an m unit on my 1980 gs750 and my bike doesn’t have spark. So I read up that there needs to be a relay in between the CDI to the M Unit. I included the revive wiring diagram that shows how to do that, but my CDI only has 2 wires excluding the ones to the stator which is the green and blue wire that goes into the signal generator. In the diagram there’s a 3rd one going from the CDI to the relay. And the description says find the kill button? Can someone explain the diagram as to where that 3rd wire came from and where am I suppose to connect it too. Thanks in advance.

not able to upload photo for some reason but the diagram is in the link: https://technicalarticles.revivalcyc...with-an-m-Unit
    Last edited by Bulldozaaa; 07-21-2021, 03:21 AM.

The info found at that link in incorrect for suzuki gs'es. Further I'd like to clarify, what you call CDI is called an ignitor, and what you call a stator is called a signal generator or pickup coil. The GS'es aren't equipped with Capacitive Discharge Ignitions.
    Last edited by Killer2600; 07-21-2021, 10:30 AM.

Comment

I’d look at this wiring diagram ....your 750 is real similar. Note the wires leading from signal generator up to ignitor....from there it’s off to ignition coils.
      has this thing run for you yet??

http://members.dslextreme.com/users/..._color-new.png
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldozaaa View Post
        but my CDI only has 2 wires excluding the ones to the stator which is the green and blue wire that goes into the signal generator.
        Be patient with me here, but the unit you refer to as a CDI, is probably your “ignitor”, and has a green wire and a blue wire that go to the signal generator. But there shouldn’t be any wires going from your ignitor to the stator. Wires from the stator go to the regulator/rectifier. Don’t think you have the R/R and ignitor mixed up?

Where is what you call your “CDI” located?
        Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
        1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
        1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Sorry, this is my first bike 😩. Trying to do my own research but people are calling it that I figured they were right. But thanks for the lesson.

Comment

Oh yeah sorry I didn’t mean from the igniter to the stator, it’s connected to the coils.

Comment

So igniter is connected to the pick up(blue, green). And then the other wires to the coils. I didn’t have a OEM wiring harness when I got the bike, it was a ball of wires missing a bunch of them so I basically had to re-wire everything and bought the m unit.

Comment

Oh,okay.

The yellow wire at the ignitor comes from the kill switch.
                When the ignition switch is on and the kill switch is in the run position the yellow wire coming from the kill switch provides power to the ignitor by way of that yellow wire, and also provides power to both coils.

One of the black wires at the ignitor provides a ground for the ignitor.

The other black wire at the ignitor provides a ground to one coil to cause that coil to fire when the ignitor pulls it to ground.

The white wire at the ignitor provides a ground to the other coil to cause it to fire when the ignitor pulls it to ground.

So how do you have the “M” unit wired in to the ignition circuit?
                Last edited by pdqford; 07-21-2021, 10:05 PM.

Comment

I have the ignitor and the coils wired the way you said. But I don’t have the kill switch because I’m using a momentary button for the on and the off, which is why I thought I needed a relay unless I get a separate button just for the kill switch. Could it be a weak ground? Bad ground on ignitor or bad ground on the coils? The black wire from the coil is connected to the B/Y of the ignitor.

Comment

Are you using the start button to start the engine?
                    And double pushing the start button to shut the engine down?

Comment

Following from the M unit’s ignition output terminal, where That wire connect to?

And how are you toggling the M unit to get it to power up its ignition output terminal?

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                        Are you using the start button to start the engine?
                        And double pushing the start button to shut the engine down?
                        yeah that was my plan, I still have to configure the m unit. Or would having a separate button as a kill switch be better?

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                          Following from the M unit’s ignition output terminal, where That wire connect to?

And how are you toggling the M unit to get it to power up its ignition output terminal?
                          i have the ignition wired to the B/W wire of the ignitor.

Comment

Is 300ohms resistance on the pickup bad? The owners manual says 130-200, anything under 130 is bad, but is being over at 300 bad?

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldozaaa View Post
                              i have the ignition wired to the B/W wire of the ignitor.
                              So you have the ignition output terminal of the M unit going to the B/W of the ignitor?
                              That B/W wire is the GROUND for the ignitor!
                              (Maybe someone smarter than me can tell you if that would cook your ignitor?)

How are you telling the M unit to turn on its ignition output?
                              Has it ever sent power to the B/W wire of the ignitor?

If the M unit’s ignition output terminal is connected to that B/W wire to the ignitor, How are you powering your ignition coils?

Comment

Working...
                              X