Weirdest problem I ever experienced.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weirdest problem I ever experienced.

So hello everyone. After enjoying my bike with my Dynojet kit finally installed due to some leaky carb bowl drain o rings and full on work hours everyday I parked the bike until the correct o rings arrive on the mailbox. The sitting period let’s say of the bike lasted about 15 days. During that time I disconnected the battery and got it home and Parked the bike on my closed garage. With the parts at hand and after a quick installation the weirdest thing of all happened. A perfectly running and functioning bike suddenly DOESNT HAVE SPARK AT ALL. Not to even a single one spark plug. The bike wears accel supercoils for about the last 1,5 years never had a problem everything was perfect with a fat blue spark very satisfied. Now this. I suspected a corroded ground somewhere (even though I clean them regularly) after re-cleaning everything still no spark. I know that the proper way is to get the trusty multimeter out and start measuring but due to a heavy schedule I can’t now. I just wanted to ask. Can suddenly the pickups or the igniter go out .???? I assumed that there would have been some signs of sorts but you never know.. thanks in advance for every piece of wisdom.
    GS674 Hybrid -1965 Vespa 90 -1958 BMW R26

Parked for awhile with zero changes made, I'd suspect low battery voltage.
    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

LAB3 it never crossed my mind cause the battery cranks the bike like hell its a lithium ion one and you feel like the starter will go flying so I don’t think it’s that low that it can’t create some spark at all... but nevertheless I shall throw her on the charger and see what happens!

Comment

Have you reconnected everything ? Often there's more than one wire to a battery terminal - and it's easy for one to drop out of sight and get missed.

Comment

How much primary resistance on your coils? The stock coils are about 4 ohms. If your replacement coils are low resistance (like 2 ohms) that can damage the ignition system.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes everything is connected as usual no mistakes there. As for the coils nessism I did my research two years ago before buying them they are the specified ones for my bike not the low resistance ones. Whatever aftermarket part I have on this bike EVERYTHING was bought and installed after research in those forums. I remember reading the stories of people buying the incorrect ones and frying their electricals so they are the correct ones plus they worked flawlessly for the last 2 years... I started this thread more like a discussion for sudden loss of spark on a working motorcycle after 15/20 days of sitting so I can get an idea what to attack when I have the time to sit and measure with my multimeter. One silly observation I want to point out here which might be normal is that when I was trying to see spark with the plugs laid on the block I touched the positive wire of the battery with my hand and it was warm to the touch.. not hot but warm. Is that any indication or just normal?
            Last edited by Kara25; 07-22-2021, 01:44 AM.

Comment

I would consider checking a bad connection to your right-hand switch,the kill switch? or other connection which feeds your coils,ign. switch plug? I am just guessing because I can't see the bike,always difficult without being right at the bike.

Comment

Has it got a sidestand switch ?

Comment

No kill switches whatsoever on the bike.! Got an epiphany of sorts today before leaving for work and after this thing eating me up all night I went and removed the No4 spark plug from the bike. I hit the starter button and the bike almost started on 3 cylinders.! Immediately afterwards I put the removed plug on the No4 boot and grounded it on the block and it was sparking.! After 1 minute again the spark disappeared while I had the plug grounded on the engine. Can it be that the spark plug is faulty or shorted I guess and takes out the spark of the bike all together.???
                  Last edited by Kara25; 07-22-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Being as it is a waste spark ignition system, a bad spark plug MIGHT take out one cylinder as well as its companion cylinder.
                    I think it’s time for you to get the meter out.
                    Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                    1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                    1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Try for a spark with the plug caps off the wires. Bad caps are more common than you'd think.

Comment

Greg T you are right.Thing is those accel wires and caps are not the screw on type where you can unscrew the cap cut some wire off and screw them back in. Besides the spark plug itself being faulty I am starting to suspect also the cap because it uses the terminal nut on top of the spark plug and I can see that inside some of the caps the round metallic connector that grabs on top of the terminal nut of the plug is widened from pulling out and pushing back to insert on the plugs during maintenance etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Kara25 View Post
                          Greg T you are right.Thing is those accel wires and caps are not the screw on type where you can unscrew the cap cut some wire off and screw them back in. Besides the spark plug itself being faulty I am starting to suspect also the cap because it uses the terminal nut on top of the spark plug and I can see that inside some of the caps the round metallic connector that grabs on top of the terminal nut of the plug is widened from pulling out and pushing back to insert on the plugs during maintenance etc..

Kara,are you running silicone-core ignition wires ? I have had trouble with those in the past;I switched to copper-core high-tension spark plug wires for a more solid connection.

Comment

Yes those are the wires the shiny rubbery like ones.! Today I will throw 4 new plugs on the bike and see what happens and if anything changes

Comment

So update I put 4 new plugs on the bike and it started right up like nothing happened.! Any thoughts.?The old plugs upon removal and inspection 1,2,3 where brownish porcelain colour and brown ground electrode which I am happy with even if it is a little rich but the spark plug of No4 cylinder the porcelain was like out of the box and the ground tip ash/white which I assume is lean burning and the plug was shot. The plugs were on the bike long before installing the Dynojet stage 3 kit. I think colourtune tricked me and I left the No4 cylinder running lean. I turned the mixture screw of No4 carb half a turn outwards to richen it up and I will inspect them again in a short while.
                              Last edited by Kara25; 07-24-2021, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X