How to remove seat without a key

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove seat without a key

So, my ignition and seat lock have different keys. I appear to have lost the seat lock key.
    Is there some way to remove the seat?
    1980 gs1100.
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

If your '80 is like my '82 (levers on either side, lock centered just behind the seat), the seat flexed enough to pop it off while the rear was still locked. I was then able to drill out the lock. I haven't replaced it, and I don't miss it: three hands were occasionally needed to remove the seat.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
      If your '80 is like my '82 (levers on either side, . . .
      . . .
      1980 seats had hinges on one side and the keyed latch (and helmet lock) on other side. I think 82 was first year for having the key latch in back.
      OP is asking about 1980.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
        So, my ignition and seat lock have different keys. I appear to have lost the seat lock key.
        Is there some way to remove the seat?
        1980 gs1100.
        Is there a code on the seat lock, if so I can cut a key for you, also what key fits the gas cap, same as seat? if so maybe a code on that.

BTW The 1980 GS 1100 (GSX 1100) had the seat lock at back in the rear tail section.

David
        Last edited by Kiwi Canuck; 07-22-2021, 12:07 AM.
        2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
        2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
        1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
        2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
        1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
        1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
        1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
        Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Hi David, I'll check the lock for numbers and get back to you.
          Thanks, Paul
          80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

UUUHHH, I don't remember hinges on any of my GS1100E seats, but it has been a lot of yrs. since I had an "80" model.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Maybe try to rake or pick it?

This channel aims to educate consumers about weaknesses and defects in security devices so they can make better security decisions. It should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: do not use any of the information presented in my videos for illegal purposes. My mailing information is below. Do NOT send anything you want back unless I’ve agreed in advance to do so. LockPickingLawyer P.O. Box 215 Damascus, MD 20872 USA Please note that I do not recommend locks, nor do I provide assistance in opening them. For advice getting started in locksport, I recommend the “University” at LockLab.com. For all other inquiries, email me (channel name at gmail). One final note - I usually receive over one hundred emails each day, and though I spend a couple hours a day answering emails, I can’t answer them all. Apologies in advance if your email is one that slips through the cracks. https://www.twitter.com/lockpickinglwyr https://www.instagram.com/lockpickinglawyer

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC there are five wafers in a GS ignition, but they only used three wafers in the seat and gas cap locks.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Maybe try to rake or pick it?

This channel aims to educate consumers about weaknesses and defects in security devices so they can make better security decisions. It should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: do not use any of the information presented in my videos for illegal purposes. My mailing information is below. Do NOT send anything you want back unless I’ve agreed in advance to do so. LockPickingLawyer P.O. Box 215 Damascus, MD 20872 USA Please note that I do not recommend locks, nor do I provide assistance in opening them. For advice getting started in locksport, I recommend the “University” at LockLab.com. For all other inquiries, email me (channel name at gmail). One final note - I usually receive over one hundred emails each day, and though I spend a couple hours a day answering emails, I can’t answer them all. Apologies in advance if your email is one that slips through the cracks. https://www.twitter.com/lockpickinglwyr https://www.instagram.com/lockpickinglawyer

Don't quote me on this, but IIRC there are five wafers in a GS ignition, but they only used three wafers in the seat and gas cap locks.
                I did quote you, even though you said not to, but there are 5 wafers in all locks including both the gas cap and seat lock.

They are not difficult to pick as long as you have a good set of picks, they require a firm tension wrench which is wide enough to get a good turning torque on the plug but not too wide so it impedes access to the wafers.

I was really impressed with these tools from Sparrow, one of our locksmiths buys these and swears by them, I have tried them and they worked well on a GMC truck that I opened in 15 seconds after trying unsuccessfully with regular picks for 2-3 minutes.

Sparrows Lock Picks manufacturers a full range of quality lock pick sets. We have a variety of lock pick sets all made with an extremely durable and flexible stainless steel. By consulting professionals in the community we have created what we believe is the very best in lock pick designs.

David
                2018 Honda Africa Twin AS
                2013 DR 650 Grey, sold 1981 GS 650E Silver,

1980 GS1000ST Blue & White, X2

2012 DL650 Vstrom Foxy Orange, in storage
                1981 CT110 X2 "Postie Bikes" Gone to a New Home.
                2002 BMW 1150 GS Blue & White - Sold
                1975 BMW R90/6 Black - Sold 1984 GS1150EF Sold
                1982 BMW R100 Africa trip, Stolen - Recovered- Sold
                1977-1980 Suzuki GS550, GS1000E, GS1000S GSX750, GSX1100,s
                Hondas ST90, CR125 CB175 , CB350 CB750, NSU Quickly, Yamaha RD's 350/400,

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi Canuck View Post
                  I did quote you, even though you said not to, but there are 5 wafers in all locks including both the gas cap and seat lock.
                  Good to know. I've only opened one GS gas cap lock, and there were only three wafers in it. Someone must have modified it. It's not all that uncommon to file, remix, or remove wafers in order to get all the locks on a bike working with the same key. I've also filed ignition wafers a bit to get them working smoothly again after a lot of lock and key wear.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

As mentioned above, the seat lock will have a key code on it. There are lots of places, some on EBAY, that can create a key for a few bucks. This all assumes that you have a few bucks, don't mind parting with them, and can wait a few days. Worked for me!
                    sigpic
                    '77 GS550B
                    '78 GS550C

Comment

Working...
                    X