Flywheel magnet disappeared!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel magnet disappeared!

Need your opinions here. I have a 1983 gs750es. I was doing maintenance work on my bike, when remove the stator cover I notice a few black grainy particles, ilooked at my stator and it's fine, touched the magnets on the flywheel and felt cracks and one is missing, and nothing fell off when I remove the cover.

I check the net where to buy a new one or a used one but ever I looked none are available, and if there is one problem is I'm currently in the Philippines. Can this still be repaired(wishfull thinking) or can anyone point me where I can get a replacement.

Bike still runs but I want to replace it.
    Last edited by Eidollan; 07-22-2021, 05:24 AM.
    1983 GS750ES

I would think that the vibrations from a rotational imbalance would be rather severe.
    Don't run the engine until the rotor (flywheel) is replaced.

Comment

Your model’s rotor appears unusual....for some reason....maybe different mounting technique. Will be very hard to find.
      Out of curiosity, you said you removed stator cover for maintenance . Was bike still charging ok? odd vibration?
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
        I would think that the vibrations from a rotational imbalance would be rather severe.
        Don't run the engine until the rotor (flywheel) is replaced.
        That's the weird part before and after I did the maintenance there was almost no vibration my. Other bike has more vibration than my gs
        1983 GS750ES

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
          Your model’s rotor appears unusual....for some reason....maybe different mounting technique. Will be very hard to find.
          Out of curiosity, you said you removed stator cover for maintenance . Was bike still charging ok? odd vibration?
          No odd vibration to be honest almost no vibration, my other bike vibrates more than my gs... Yeah bike still charges OK hooked up a volt meter to the battery while I uy was running reved it to 3k rpm voltage rises up reved it up to 5k rpm voltage went up to 14.2v... Its running like no magnets where missing very odd, but I'm. Afraid the vibration no matter how weak or strong it is will in time destroy my shaft or remove the other magnets... Really trying to find a way to repair it or find a replacement.
          1983 GS750ES

Comment

While I haven't personally seen it on the bigger Suzukis, the 250 and 400 fours are prone to losing these magnets. If they can be found in the engine and are in one piece, they can be epoxied back in place....At your own risk.
            There's got to be some of those 750 rotors around surely. Enough of them have blown up that there have to be some somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
              While I haven't personally seen it on the bigger Suzukis, the 250 and 400 fours are prone to losing these magnets. If they can be found in the engine and are in one piece, they can be epoxied back in place....At your own risk.
              There's got to be some of those 750 rotors around surely. Enough of them have blown up that there have to be some somewhere.
              Yeah I hope to find one soon I'm ready to take the risk.
              1983 GS750ES

Comment

It appears this seller will ship internationally and you can calculate shipping cost too.

1980 SUZUKI GS850GL MAGNETO FLYWHEEL ROTOR. SUZUKI PART # 31402-45110 supercedes to. May fit other years/models. not the result of our error! NO EXCEPTIONS! 1981 GS850GL GENERATOR. 1983 GS850GL GENERATOR.
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                  It appears this seller will ship internationally and you can calculate shipping cost too.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201817293954
                  Yeah saw his post, already sent the seller a message he said according to suzuki it doesn't fit or work with my gs750es even if it's both gs750, weird but OK I don't want to use something that is not sure that will work
                  1983 GS750ES

Comment

That one is for an 8 valve engine. Is yours an 8 or 16V engine ? 83 is usually the 16V.

From memory, the shaft diameter is different.

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                      That one is for an 8 valve engine. Is yours an 8 or 16V engine ? 83 is usually the 16V.

From memory, the shaft diameter is different.
                      Mine is 16V
                      1983 GS750ES

Comment

Here's an interesting fact I came across. For 1985 the engine sizes where reduced to 700cc for the US market due to the HD led tariff wars, if that bike is indeed a 750 then you probably need to cross reference the part number off a parts fishce for the market it was exported to.

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                          Here's an interesting fact I came across. For 1985 the engine sizes where reduced to 700cc for the US market due to the HD led tariff wars...
                          You didn't know that? I think one of the reasons I dislike 700cc bikes from that era is that they remind me of the union-busting 'great communicator.' I see that 700 bike and I think of the air traffic controllers being fired (August 5, 1981).

So much of our current political dysfunction can be traced to that man and that time. Talking about 'states rights' when he announced his candidacy at a segregated university. Didn't they have escalators in those days?
                          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I remember that tariff well, there's no way I would have cross shopped a >750cc bike I liked with a HD, as much as I wanted to buy American, government meddling wouldn't make me change my taste in bikes.

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            You didn't know that? I think one of the reasons I dislike 700cc bikes from that era is that they remind me of the union-busting 'great communicator.' I see that 700 bike and I think of the air traffic controllers being fired (August 5, 1981).

So much of our current political dysfunction can be traced to that man and that time. Talking about 'states rights' when he announced his candidacy at a segregated university. Didn't they have escalators in those days?
                            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                            '79 GS100E
                            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                              You didn't know that?
                              Oh I knew about it, that was back when I was single and had money to burn for a new bike! The part that surprised me is they continued building and selling the 750 in other parts of the world.

Comment

Working...
                              X