No announcement yet.

Petrol in the oil - after long lay off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had my petcock fail and a float needle didn't seal, dumped fuel all over the floor through the overflow hose.

I'm thinking I should change my oil, I don't see gas floating on top but smell it when I open the reservoir. How many turns of the crank after draining the oil is needed to clear any gas?
    1978 GS 750 E
    1979 XS11 Standard
    1973 CB450

Comment

None, if you haven't run it with the fuel-contaminated oil.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Forden View Post
        I had my petcock fail and a float needle didn't seal, dumped fuel all over the floor through the overflow hose.

I'm thinking I should change my oil, I don't see gas floating on top but smell it when I open the reservoir. How many turns of the crank after draining the oil is needed to clear any gas?
        Leaking gas flows out the back of the VM carbs, it's the CV carbs that dumps into the oil - you're in the clear.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

That's good news. I was worried because there was fuel leaking through the filter of the offending carb, and I thought it must have surely run through the other side into the cylinder head.
          1978 GS 750 E
          1979 XS11 Standard
          1973 CB450

Comment

Working...
          X