Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 oil pan gasket

Hi.
    I need to get the oil pan off my gs650GL and I have some difficulty finding the gasket for the pan. Either its super expensive(like 50USD) or its shipping from a sketchy site. Is the gasket difficult to make by myself from a gasket sheet? Does anyone have a template I could print in order to cut my gasket? thanks a lot!

L.Leblanc
    1982 GS650GL

Maybe not much help, but, I also recently was unable to source an OEM oil pan gasket for my bike. I bought a $10 one on ebay in the hopes I wouldn't need it. This was the description:

Brand New NIPPON MACHINES brand gasket with guaranteed fit and function. All Materials and Manufacturing Sourced and MADE IN USA.

I don't know if any of that means anything. I'm hoping I don't have to use it. I know from cleaning a 40 year old gasket off both surfaces of a previous engine, that is was no fun and took a long time to get both surfaces clean, especially the engine surface. Having to lay on your back to do it really sucks. Ended up pulling the engine out of the frame anyway. Also, taking the exhaust off is a PITA.

I've been chasing a very small oil drip for a while. I think I finally have it correctly diagnosed, after replacing the stator cover gasket. I think the drip is gone.

I suppose someone who's practiced in cutting gaskets could do it. Doesn't look very difficult, but I've never done it.

This is one gasket you want to be sure of when you put everything back together. You're not going to want to do it again anytime soon.

Are you removing the pan because of a suspected oil leak, or does it have to come off for another reason?
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-22-2021, 02:31 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

My drain plug is stripped and dripping oil. I want to re-do the threads so it won't leak anymore
      Do you have a link to what you bought?

Comment

1980 GS750E - OIL PUMP - OIL FILTER. 1983 GS750S - OIL PUMP - OIL FILTER. 1980 GS750L - OIL PUMP - OIL FILTER. 1983 GS750T - OIL PUMP - OIL FILTER. 1981 GS750E - OIL PUMP - OIL FILTER. 1981 GS750L - OIL PUMP - OIL FILTER.

But my bike is different that yours.
        The gasket for my bike is 11489-45400-H17

According to Partshark.com, the oil pan gasket for the 1982 GS650GL is 11489-34210
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Alpha Sports (https://alpha-sports.com/suzuki_part...q=suzuki-parts) says they have your gasket available for $23 US and that it fits both the 81 and 82 650 G and GL
          sigpic
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

This CT guy has lots of NOS Suzuki gaskets....I’ve bought many as insurance

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Do you have the size of the original drain bolt? I need to re-do the threads for a bigger bolt but I need to know the size of the original one

Comment

Originally posted by Simonak3000 View Post
                Do you have the size of the original drain bolt? I need to re-do the threads for a bigger bolt but I need to know the size of the original one
                It's 14mm, like nearly every Zuk used.
                Buy Suzuki 09247-14002 - PLUG. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

ok but the bolt pattern?

Comment

Let me Google that for you
                    Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                    VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                    Bikecliff's website
                    The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Originally posted by Rijko View Post
                      '
                      I love LMGTFY, but unless I missed it, it didn't really answer the question.

The part # 14002 suggests the original is 14mm-2, or a standard coarse thread. Can anyone confirm that as correct?
                      '83 GS650G
                      '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Third link down showed it already - M14x1.25
                        Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                        Bikecliff's website
                        The Stator Papers

Comment

Originally posted by Simonak3000 View Post
                          And why would the thread pitch matter if going up a bolt size ?
                          OP would be better off looking for a bigger bolt, find that pitch, and tap accordingly ?

Personally i would find a proper insert, much nicer repair imho.
                          Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                          Bikecliff's website
                          The Stator Papers

Comment

I do not agree with their statement a bigger bolt is not a good solution.
                            But the video shows the insert and repair method nicely in a very short video.
                            Last edited by Rijko; 07-23-2021, 03:27 PM.
                            Rijk

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                            VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                            Bikecliff's website
                            The Stator Papers

Comment

Thanks for clarifying. I didn't see that link...and I agree, an insert is the better solution.
                              '83 GS650G
                              '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Working...
                              X