Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS450L Carb Choke Plunger

Hi all,

I just got a very rough condition 1983 GS 450 L. Seems to run reasonably well, but has plenty wrong with it that I need to fix before I actually ride it anywhere. The one thing that's got me really stuck right now is replacing the choke plunger. Previous owner accidentally snapped the head of the plunger off, so the choke rod fork has nothing to engage to, leaving the left-side carb unable to have any choke applied. The repair is straightforward enough, but I can't seem to find the correct plunger rod for this carb, and it's conveniently missing on the factory parts diagram.

So far, I've only been able to find parts for the VM-series carbs, or the older style plunger that have the flat-machined sides for the choke rod fork instead of being a concentric cutout. It looks like this plunger is on every BS34-based GS with the horizontal-sliding plungers, so I'm struggling to figure out why this part is so hard to locate. Anybody have any leads?
    1983 Suzuki GS450L (...really the wife's. I just maintain it.)
    2005 Yamaha TTR125L
    2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS

Sifting through an ebay search for "1983 Sukuzi gs450 carb" I came across this, looks like someone's parting out a 450, might be a lead there.

1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

do you need this part?
      choke.jpg

i have a couple spares from an 83 and 85 gs450 carb i can send you if you want. no charge
      1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
        do you need this part?
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]63072[/ATTACH]

i have a couple spares from an 83 and 85 gs450 carb i can send you if you want. no charge
        That looks like it! Though you're saving me a LOT of trouble, so I'm definitely going to want to pay for shipping and I'd prefer to send you something for the part. We can hash that out in PMs.
        1983 Suzuki GS450L (...really the wife's. I just maintain it.)
        2005 Yamaha TTR125L
        2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC ABS

Comment

sounds good. hit me up whenever
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Working...
          X