Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hot?

Hi all,

Just went through the CV carbs on my '80 GS1000, and have returned them to the bike. It runs!

However, the pipes on 1,3, and 4 get very hot very quickly. I can't touch them after about 45 seconds. The bike stumbles if I twist the throttle. Am I right to assume they are running lean? I'm hoping to get it running well enough to ride it to the shop for carb adjustments.

I'm not sure what avenue to begin to pursue next: carb or airbox boot leaks? Should I adjust the pilot screws on the hot cylinders? They're already out 3 turns.

Advice is appreciated! Cheers.

I am not the expert many here are, but I would look at the cold cylinder first. Sounds like it is not firing.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

When you say that you have gone through the carbs did that entail a complete dismantling and clean?
      If not, have a look at this excellent tutorial from Ed.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
        I am not the expert many here are, but I would look at the cold cylinder first. Sounds like it is not firing.
        Me too.

You have to have the idle speed turned way up to make it idle on 3 cylinders. And then those 3 cylinders are working harder to keep it running.
        1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

It's perfectly normal for exhaust pipes to get hot. Think about what is flowing on the other side of that chrome.

Get all four cylinders firing, then turn the pilot screws IN. Turn them slowly until you hear the RPM drop a bit, then back out about 1/8 turn. Might end up about 2 1/2 turns out, but every carb can be different, so don't just set them all the same.

Comment

Hi,I think you might have to clean the carbs again. Having a shop work on your carbs can get real expensive really fast and you still might not be happy in the end. One day of shop labour is almost the same price as a new much better set of carburetors, just saying. I use a candle on the pipes to see if a cylinder is not firing. You can also swap leads to eliminate caps and wires also check the plug. Hope this helps.
            1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Working...
            X