oil dipstick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil dipstick

Has anyone ever fabricated a dipstick for the 83 1100 engines? My sight glass is unusable and I don't want to pull the side cover.

A dipstick won't do much good unless you find a place to drill a hole where there aren't moving parts below. And then you have the problem of finding a way to support the dipstick while the bike is in use.

Pulling the side cover is no big deal at all. Leave the bike on the side stand, you don't even have to drain the oil. $10 for a new gasket, a few minutes with some carb cleaner and a Q-tip, your glass will be clean.

While you are in there, you might consider another $20 to get new clutch springs.

Comment

I meant a dipstick to measure from the oil filler cap area. Not a permanent fixture.I don't like the sight glass at all.My clutch springs are barnett put in in late 83 and clutch is in fine shape.

Comment

If you look through the filler, you will see ... clutch. Stick anything into the hole you will have to bend around the clutch, making any attempt at an accurate measurement rather futile.
        I ride many bikes.
        Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

Use the window, while the bike is on the center stand. A good flashlight will help you see the level, even if the window is dirty. And, as said above, it is easy to clean if you can't.
          Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
          '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

If you don't want to clean your old sight glass, get a new one. Lens oil level... part # 11971-45010... $13.89. still available
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Still would have to remove the cover and install a new gasket.

Could save the $13.89 and just use some carb cleaner and a q-tip on the existing glass.

Comment

I said sight glass, Sorry, I should have said sight plastic, they aren't glass. Yours will probably clean up like new. But being plastic, don't be too surprised if it doesn't. Just my opinion, good luck
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Call it an "oil level determination port" if you will, but I haven't seen one yet that didn't clean up.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

Yep, there's far too much stuff in the way for a dipstick in the cap, even if it's flexible.

The easiest and cheapest way forward is to yoink the clutch cover, clean the window with a q-tip, and replace the clutch cover, using a new OEM gasket.

Once that's handled, get a wee mechanic's mirror on a stick if you want the easiest way to check the oil level.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      The easiest and cheapest way forward is to yoink the clutch cover, clean the window with a q-tip, and replace the clutch cover, using a new OEM gasket.
                      In other words, just refer back to post #2.

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                      Pulling the side cover is no big deal at all. Leave the bike on the side stand, you don't even have to drain the oil. $10 for a new gasket, a few minutes with some carb cleaner and a Q-tip, your glass will be clean.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Yep, there's far too much stuff in the way for a dipstick in the cap, even if it's flexible.

Once that's handled, get a wee mechanic's mirror on a stick if you want the easiest way to check the oil level.
                        I have one of those! But I hate these windows too... gee- I begin to wonder if it's possible to jbWeld some kind of mirror thereabouts....or refracting lense from a set of binoculars over it...?

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
                          I don't like the sight glass at all.
                          Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                          I hate these windows too.
                          Wait until you get a bike that does not have one.

Now let's add insult to injury. Let's make it a touring bike that requires removing a body panel or two to access the dipstick. Even worse, don't put a centerstand on the bike.

All of a sudden, the idea of a sight glass becomes rather attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                            I have one of those! But I hate these windows too... gee- I begin to wonder if it's possible to jbWeld some kind of mirror thereabouts....or refracting lense from a set of binoculars over it...?
                            Why not go whole hog with an optical sensor arrangement that reports oil level on a dedicated display on your handlebars?

Me, I'll just go with the centerstand (or track stand), crouch, and squint method. But winter is coming, and maybe someone needs a project...

Another factor is how much oil your bike uses. My bikes are all quite healthy and oil tight and so I honestly don't need to look all that often.
                            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

yes but Try THIS:
                              Put your smartphone camera in selfie-mode.
                              Reach down
                              and look.
                              Only just thought of it so not tested in every situation, but in my dark shed, the camera enhances the available light. In the sun, it might not always be seeable without a shadow...

'should be able to check oil after filling with gas doing this, still sitting on the bike, versus, If you have baggage, putting the heavy bike on a centrestand ....

Comment

Working...
                              X