No announcement yet.

GS1100E restomod project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

here’s the frame damage. Also I’m reading that a spacer or adaptor need to be made for the rf900 lower triple and stem to work with the bandit upper clamp? for how long people have been doing this there sure doesn’t seem to be very solid info on what actually works and exactly what you need.

Comment

Originally posted by fvnkybvnch View Post
      here’s the frame damage. Also I’m reading that a spacer or adaptor need to be made for the rf900 lower triple and stem to work with the bandit upper clamp? for how long people have been doing this there sure doesn’t seem to be very solid info on what actually works and exactly what you need.
      There have been many members do this swap on this site & others. I believe the concept is to push out the stems & swap them around when doing a Bandit swap. I used GSXR (RWU) forks & triples & it was a bolt in affair with regard to the triple trees. Good luck with your project.
      Paul

sigpic

Originally posted by Grimly
      Watery bints handing out swords is no basis for any system of government.

Comment

Originally posted by slayer61 View Post
        There have been many members do this swap on this site & others. I believe the concept is to push out the stems & swap them around when doing a Bandit swap. I used GSXR (RWU) forks & triples & it was a bolt in affair with regard to the triple trees. Good luck with your project.
        Guess if it doesn’t work for whatever reason I’m only out $30 for the rf lower. rather not mess with pressing stuff in and out but if it comes down to it I guess I will. People press in the GS stem into the bandit lower clamp but then theirs problems with the Gs stem being slightly undersized for the bandit clamp. Also your bike looks sweet! Love the underbraced swingarm.

Comment

here’s my fork swap thread I started with some good info so far.
          https://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?261543-Help-me-choose-1100e-fork-swap!&p=2661246#post2661246

Comment

Comment

I started taking the bandit apart last week. Got rear sets off and determined I can use them on the gs and shift splines are the same so that’s pretty easy. started loosening everything on the back wheel and swingarm to remove it. luckily this bike must have only had one tire put on it and only the chain adjusted because all the hardware is in good shape and even though it’s corroded everything has come apart easy so that’s good.

having a hard time working on it since I’m still recovering from a femur fracture and broken arm so I can barely walk.

Comment

so got more of the bandit apart, rear end is off and whole front end off. Checking steering stems I see the bandit is tapered on the bottom and the rf900 isn’t. i thought I read that these bearings are interchangeable? Or was that rf900 to gs1100 they are Interchangeable?

bandit on left and rf900 on the right with bandit top clamp say on top

Comment

Comment

All 3 should be 30mm ID for the bottom bearing - looks to me like the RF stem has been changed out for a 25mm one? Either that's a spacer in there or the stem has been machined down??
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

That would be my luck it’s machined down. I’ll have to cross reference pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                        All 3 should be 30mm ID for the bottom bearing - looks to me like the RF stem has been changed out for a 25mm one? Either that's a spacer in there or the stem has been machined down??
                        just looked on eBay and they all look like the bandit one. man that sucks what are the chances I but a machined down one. oh well they are like $25 guess I’ll get another one.

Comment

Working...
                        X