Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She Lives!!

*queue mad scientist laughter*

thanks to everyone who put up with my idiocy the past few weeks, and sorry to anyone i offended

finally got her started, and idling properly.
    have a faulty petcock. using prime works fine. using reserve works fine. putting it on 'on' causes the bike to dump gas through the airbox after the engine stops. (not the carbs fault. those were fixed already)

things i had to do to this point:

strip, clean, and rebuild the carbs. one of the carbs had a broken float post, so i had to ebay a replacement.
    replace the ignition coils. one wasnt firing at all, the one that did work was shocking me and the bike every time it fired. very weak spark too
    clean out the left side case where the gear sensors and clutch pin adjustment lives. was literally caked in dirt and grease.
    fix the tail light switch and clutch safety switches. both were covered in dirt prevent electrical contact.
    figure out the wiring harness. almost everything up front had been disconnected, and i had to figure out where everything went properly.
    swap out the turn relay. the one on it look real old. like from the 70's old. got a new one off ebay, and i have turn signals now!
    change the oil and clean out the crankcase. the oil was a messed up mix of oil and gasoline because of the petcock/broken carb problem
    replace the instrument cluster. then inner bracket that holds everything together on mine was in many pieces.
    replaced the starter solenoid
    cleaned up 99% of the electrical contacts

stuff i still gotta do
    the horn dont work. unsure why at this point. think the switch might be bad.
    one of the studs that holds the oil filter cover on backed out on me. might need to jbweld it in there
    fine tune the carbs. i dont have a manometer, so vacuum syncing will have to wait for a bit
    adjust the chain and all three cables. might need to replace the throttle cable.
    replace either the fuel gauge or the gauge sender unit. not sure which yet.
    get a new headlight bucket and headlight. was bought without the bucket assembly.
    adjust the valves and sync the carbs.
    might need a ring job on left cylinder. gonna try the MMO treatment just in case its a sticky ring
    replace the intake and airbox boots. did the o-rings, but the boots might need a swap too. unsure yet.

1985 Suzuki GS450L

Congrats! It's a great feeling ain't it?

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
      Congrats! It's a great feeling ain't it?
      oh yea. i about shouted with joy when she fired up and stayed fired up, even after i took the choke off and gave her some throttle.
      1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Congrats, we're all tickled for you. Now for the little sorting out stuff, to be expected..
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

took her up and down the street a few times today. messed up by making the clutch lever WAY too tight. lost all power to the wheel for a bit and freaked out a bit. got it sorted though. had to replace the vacuum line. the stuff i had on there turned out to be basically fish tank air hose and it melted. fires right up with no choke, but that might change as the weather gets cooler. downshifting properly is kinda difficult for me at the moment. every time i shift down and re-engage the clutch, the RPM jumps by quite a bit. upshifting turned out to be a lot easier than i thought it would be, although it makes the top of my foot sore after a few shifts
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
            . upshifting turned out to be a lot easier than i thought it would be, although it makes the top of my foot sore after a few shifts
            don’t ride​ in flip-flops.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
            Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
              don’t ride​ in flip-flops.
              i was wearing my walmart tennis/walking shoes. i have a pair of stompy work boots. ill try those tomorrow
              1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Have you taken a motorcycle safety course yet? If not please do so ASAP. Your RPMs are jumping because you are still in the throttle fully; you need to learn to come off as you pull the clutch in and back on smoothly as you release the clutch
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Good points Scott. I wasn’t thinking about new rider stuff. PLEASE TAKE THE MSF SAFETY COURSE, LEARN ABOUT PROTECTIVE GEAR. In the mean time, at least watch som Dan Dan the Fireman YouTube videos to see what can happen when you don’t wear gear and bad things happen.
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

oh yea. im definitely going to take an msf course. right now im just buttoning her back up and making sure everything is working properly.

this thing is most certainly NOT a scooter, and i have absolutely no desire to go body surfing down a road
                    1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Maybe find a video on how to properly shift a motorcycle up, and down.

Fast Eddie has a good way of explaining things.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                      X