Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FTC upholds right to repair

Hard to imagine how that could be possible, If something like passed & all repairs have got to be done by a Stealership, many of us just could not possibly afford it. A guy down the rd. has a bad wheel speed sensor on his Toyota Tacoma, dealer charged him $160 to plug it up to their computer & give him an estimate of $600 to fix it. He told them just hold off, he didn't have the money. I just installed a wheel speed sensor on the LR of my Tacoma yesterday, that I got off ebay for $10. 1- 10mm nut & a 2 pin plug, less than 15 min job. Still need to find someone with a computer thing to reset the lights. Also a buddy's sister has either a Mercedes or a BMW, & can afford dealers, she won't go anywhere other than a dealer. Her batt died & they charged, I forgot exact, but over $400 to put a batt. in for her. I just don't see how that could work for a lot of us. I do see the Co's want to take advantage of everyone instead of just the richer folks they get now, but I just don't see how many of us could get by.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    Do you see a correlation there to corporate health care?
    Ya think?
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

It's a great result, but I wonder about the odds of anything changing for the better for the consumer.

Implementation and meaningful enforcement will make a big difference. You can bet the manufacturers won't give up and will keep inventing more and more devious ways to keep information and parts proprietary. The FTC will need to ensure that these tactics are more expensive than following the law.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

It's to bad they don't engineer vehicles to be serviced. The ease of rushing them down the assembly line is king with all the manufacturers. The prices they charge for repairs is obscene. They will continue with the fight to lock owners out, but in a more covert way I am sure. "Bend over we don't use grease" should be their motto.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by metalfab View Post
    It's to bad they don't engineer vehicles to be serviced. The ease of rushing them down the assembly line is king with all the manufacturers. The prices they charge for repairs is obscene. They will continue with the fight to lock owners out, but in a more covert way I am sure. "Bend over we don't use grease" should be their motto.

Every vehicle has a factory service manual and every part on every vehicle can be repaired or replaced by mechanics. There are people who can do it, just apparently not you. Its above your skill level. That doesnt mean its not doable.

Your BA 1972 Chevy 350 was blown up at 90k. An LS silverado will bang the limiter regularly for 400k on the original pistons and rings.

People just always want more.

Yep, Sometimes new & improved is better but sometimes it just don't seem that way. I replaced the heater core on my "72" Ford Ranger, appx. 30 min. by removing 4 screws on the cover, 2 3/8" nuts holding it in, & 2 hose clamps. I'm not enthused about having to remove the entire dash to even be able to see the dang thing in my "99" Dodge Ram, probably has got worse since "99". I'm not enthused seeing 8 "Coli Packs" running my V-8 eng. My old "72" Ranger used only one & it was an oddity to ever have one go bad. Don't agree with having to maintain 8 (8 @ X $42.99 per Advanced Auto = $343.92 + tax) coils to do the exact same job one $32.99 (todays price at Advanced Auto) did 50 yrs. ago. Today we're replacing them all the time with the 8 on there, if they were the same quality as the old ones, you will be replacing them 8 times more often. Just doesn't make "common" sense.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Our 2011 Durango just turned 100K and needed a water pump.
    Simple job, way easier than any older car/truck I've done. And no paper gasket/sealant nonsense...just a big o-ring.
    And an oil change. So add in a trip to the recycle center for anti-freeze and oil.
    The 5.7 HEMI also needs plugs - 16 of them....ouch.

Can't wait to go electric.....
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

The 2 plugs per cyl. has been around since at least "84", My new "84" Nissan 4x4, 4 cyl. had 8 plugs. Always heard one fires a little before the other, not sure of that, just know I've personally not seen any advantages, other than twice as much time, effort, & expense to replace. I guess some are still doing it & some are not.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

The 2 spark plug business came about due to emissions. It also may affect mpg too but I'm not sure.

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

In the aircraft industry the manufacturers are required to create CMM's (Component Maintenance Manual) for just about everything in the aircraft. Using the CMM an airline can set up their own repair centers, and/or farm out maintenance work to a 3rd party. The company I work for has some complicated electronic assemblies that really should only be serviced by us, but regardless, we publish a CMM anyway.