Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FTC upholds right to repair

Default FTC upholds right to repair

The Federal Trade Commission ruled in favor of the owners right to repair vehicles, machines and whatever else breaks down..

Definitely a win for the average person and independent repair shops of all kinds
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

How and when was this in question?

I thought that issue was settled a LONG time ago.

rphillips is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Settled a long time ago??? I didn't know there ever was anything to settle, never knew it had ever been an issue.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

I was surprised last week when I read it was coming to court again, as I thought it was settled in favour of the car owner years ago in the US. I know the auto makers in the EU had been rebuffed when they tried to influence the making of laws to make it compulsory for car owners to use franchised garages or main dealers and that meant the smaller back-street auto repair places would be out of business, also outlawing home repair by all, whether competent or not.
    However, in both areas, you can be sure the auto-makers haven't given up on this.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Well, it started with farm equipment and then heavy equipment and Tesla and so on.

It's been going on for years, manufacturer s claiming that their trade secrets, and computer codes, would be violated
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Which would essentially boil down to ownership becoming nothing more than a lease of sorts, if the manufacturers won.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

The farm industry mainly combines and large tractors manufacturers have refused to let their owners in to the computer controlled systems. Like on your car you can plug into your diagnostic port and read trouble codes, and change settings. Farmers have been locked out. Today's farm equipment is a marvel of electronics, GPS guided self driving harvesters, and then all the electronic engine controls. Not to mention planting by GPS automated systems, and then all the other machine functions. Farmers have traditionally repaired their equipment, some even having advanced repair knowledge with welding and machine shop equipment on the farm premises.

Everyday automobiles have areas where the owners are locked out of the electronics. Now days you can buy gray market Chinese made devices to hack these lockouts. The manufacturers still are not forthcoming with tech info made to help techs making repairs on these limited systems.

Then there is Tesla, they wont sell parts unless they install them. They limit functions like super fast charging you need on trips if you get on their crap list. The list includes any car that the owner has worked on, or any car that was perceived by the onboard computer system to be damaged in any way. Yes your own onboard computer busts you, and some cars Tesla just says you need to buy a new car that one isn't one we will work on. So many times Tesla refuses to repair certain vehicles/issues, and then to refuse to unblacklist the vehicle. Then there is Rich.

1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

I've watched a bunch of Rich, the Tesla Guy's videos. Despite having little to no interest nor aspirations of ever owning a Tesla, I love this guys attitude and spirit, and his content and delivery are top notch.
    Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-28-2021 at 09:31 AM.

earlfor is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Which would essentially boil down to ownership becoming nothing more than a lease of sorts, if the manufacturers won.
    Do you see a correlation there to corporate health care?
    I went to the grocery store and there was a sign at the door. It said no food or drinks inside.
    ........So I went home.

argonsagas is offline Forum LongTimer Charter Member
    GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by earlfor View Post
    Do you see a correlation there to corporate health care?
    That would rank well up on the list of insightful comments you have made on GSR.
    "The only thing worse than ignorance is arrogance." AE