83 GS750E carb rebuilder recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750E carb rebuilder recommendations

Well, after years of sitting in the corner, my poor 83 750E is finally on the lift. I already pulled the carbs.
    I've decided to have the carbs rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing. So who do you recommend
    that will do a top notch job ?
    Stock pipes, stock air box. ( funny thing when I pulled the carbs I discovered that one of the many previous owners
    had cut the filter part of the air box off from the front. Everything is still there but its in 2 pieces. I suspect he was trying
    to get the air box out. I have some pod filters but I'm thinking that I may try gluing the air box back together. Opinions ?)
    I'm looking forward to the start of this project. No doubt you'll be hearing a lot more from me.

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

I have an 83 750ES and I purchased a stock airbox for it a while back.I have been searching for stock exhaust as I want to remove the Kerker plus I want to install a centerstand. I would definitely recommend the stock airbox as this is an engine with an 'over-square' bore and stroke which will not give you as much mid-range or low-end as an engine with a longer stroke;this has been my experience.The stock airbox is my vote compared to pods and a Kerker which is what my bike came to me with.I hope you really enjoy getting it back on the road !

Comment

If you’re looking at sending your carbs out (I don’t blame you) to a member of the GSR who’s offered that service, try sending PMs or emails to either Steve, Nessism, or chuck hahn. I don’t know these guys personally, but have been here long enough to know who I would trust to send my carbs to.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Like he said, I don't know those folks either, but they've been around here for a long time & sure seem to know their stuff. With orig. air box, jetting is a known, Pods will be a whole lot of trial & error. Also seems all else is orig. I like orig., I'd try to keep it all as orig. as possible. Good luck, keep us updated, & we all love pictures.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Thanks for the info. Nessism is going to take care of my carbs.

Mad
          83 GS750E
          2006 ZX14
          2004 KTM 450 EXC
          2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Maddevill',

I bought an 83 GS750e pretty cheap 5 years or so ago, rebuilt the carbs, bought new boots for the carbs and while I was waiting for some other parts I decided to adjust the valves. Manual in hand I rotated the engine over to start the adjustment process and hears several strange clicks. I stopped and tried to figure out this noise was. Then I realized that I had forgotten that I had pulled the cam chain tensioner to rebuild and I knew what the clicking noise. The engine was now out of time because the cam chain jumped over a couple of teeth. My enthusiasm for getting this bike on the road was at a standstill. I bought another bike road ready and really totally lost all interest in the bike.

Here is my offer; if you come up to Yreka (2hrs and 20 minutes, one way)and pick this bike up you can have everything for nothing. Rebuilt carbs, new boots, a factory manual and all the other parts I have. I've PM'ed you in the past so you may have my number. If not shoot me a PM. Cheers.
            sigpic
            83 GS1100g
            2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
              Thanks for the info. Nessism is going to take care of my carbs.

Mad
              He will do a fine job!
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I had a very good experience with chuck hahn but I have heard good things about Steve and the others as well. I don’t think you can go wrong with anyone listed on this site!
                sigpic 79 gs550 80 gs550 250 rebel

Comment

Working...
                X