Clean your kill switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clean your kill switch

Bike shut off on me riding through town today. Happened a few weeks ago on a very bumpy road. A flick of the kill switch off then back to run, clutch in, press start got it back to running that time. Thought at the time was, just keep an eye on it. Today, riding through down town, bike just shut off. Had to pull off. Had to flick the kill switch half a dozen times before I could start it again. Last year when bike was down to the frame and I (thought I) thoroughly cleaned every electrical connector on the bike, apparently I missed this one. I would have remembered taking this switch apart. This was a real pain. Twice l almost lost that little ball bearing that makes the toggle rest in its detents.

It’s the little things that have the potential to really make you have a bad day. So glad it happened close to home and didn’t strand me.

Switch is clean and happy now. Going for a ride. It’s beautiful out.

Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 07-24-2021, 04:57 PM.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Humm... good advice.

In your pic, I see the green stuff inside the plastic housing there by the lever.
    Since you had problems, I suppose was green stuff on the contacts too.

Have seen start button and wire from the kill swtich.
    I have never seen the inside of the kill switch. Maybe I should.
    Last edited by Redman; 07-24-2021, 05:26 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Dave if you take it apart, be very careful. There’s a spring loaded bent copper piece that makes the contact. It’s sort of similar to the clutch and front brake lever switch except the bent copper piece has no little tabs to keep it in place. But that’s not the tricky part. The tricky part is the ball bearing. If you manage to not lose it and it’s spring when you take the red switch out of the black housing, best of luck putting it back together. I’m still not entirely sure how I did it. But I was well please when it finally went home.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I have seen recommendations on other forums to ALWAYS use the "kill" switch to turn the engine off when you are done riding. One reason is that it builds muscle memory for the time you might really need to use it, but they say that it also wipes the contacts to keep them clean.

On the other hand, it might also wear them out, ...

Comment

I’ve read both philosophies as well. Not for any particular reason, I just always turn the bike off with the key. I rarely use the kill switch. It worked for 39 years without being cleaned I guess. I had cleaned the circuit board before. But this was the first time AFAIK for the switch contact itself. I probably should train myself to use it on a regular basis.
          Rich
          1982 GS 750TZ
          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I take my hand switches apart every few years to give them all a good cleaning.I highly recommend a product called 'Deoxit' which works wonders(in a pinch)without taking apart the switch;the spray works to clean a lot of corrosion,enough to get you going again.

Comment

Yes, big fan of the Deoxit. But I use it typically as a last step after proper cleaning with naval jelly, flush with water, compressed air, then electrical contact cleaner.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                I’ve read both philosophies as well. Not for any particular reason, I just always turn the bike off with the key. I rarely use the kill switch. It worked for 39 years without being cleaned I guess. I had cleaned the circuit board before. But this was the first time AFAIK for the switch contact itself. I probably should train myself to use it on a regular basis.
                I just use it every so often, just to keep it clean and reassure myself it's still doing its job.
                ---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                X