Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

83 GS750E fork tube needed

Hi again
    Today when I was fooling with the GS, I discovered that the right fork tube has a deep gouge in the chrome tube. So I'm looking for
    1 fork tube. Lowers are fine
    As long as I'm here, what is the hot set up for rear shock ? The old stock one is just about seized.

Thanks everyone

Mad
    83 GS750E
    2006 ZX14
    2004 KTM 450 EXC
    2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Hi, race tech sells stanchions, as far as shocks it all depends on how much you want to spend . A lot of members seem happy with progressive or hagon shocks for reasonable money. You can always spend more and it is nice to be able to adjust shock length to fine tune handling . I would stay away from the real cheap stuff.
    1983 gs1100ed restro-mod. 1998 gsxr 1100 almost mint, 2019 kawasaki klx250, 2011 Beta 250 evo trials bike, 2017 Montesa 300rr trials bike, 2021 honda crf250rx woods weapon

Comment

Progressive makes a rear shock for the 83 ? Having trouble finding it.

Mad
      83 GS750E
      2006 ZX14
      2004 KTM 450 EXC
      2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Maddevill View Post
        the right fork tube has a deep gouge in the chrome tube. So I'm looking for
        1 fork tube. Lowers are fine
        Shipping (especially a complete fork leg) may be quite expensive.

Maybe an option to have the tubes re-hardchromed.
        Prices on new tubes are crazy - CMSNL asks 305 Euro per tube ....

I have mine hardchromed.
        Price approx. 80-100 Euro per tube.

Even very bad tubes are no problem : they cut away all the rust, pitting. gouges.
        Most pipes are slightly bent and that is solved also.
        Next they build up the hardchrome up to the correct thickness and finish
        the job with a matte or shiny finish.
        Pipes are guaranteed straight and look as good as new, maybe even better.
        Last edited by Rijko; 07-26-2021, 06:09 AM.
        Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
        VM Carb rebuild tutorial
        Bikecliff's website
        The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Forking by frank if he's still around... That fork leg is longer than a lot of other GS so you can't use a different model (although you could take the whole front assembly from an 1150 I think or obviously the GS700).

You can use a Ducati Monster shock around 1999 from memory. I have it in one of my build threads. You need to swap the stock spring onto it, set the rebound damping before you fit it (as you can't really access it) and then massage a cast seam on the eye with a file (just file it smooth).

YOu also need a washer each side of the eye too.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found a very nice set of forks on FleaBay for a great price including shipping. I may not even have to rebuild them.
            Forking by Frank didn't list any tubes. Race Tech has some for $183 per tube.
            And especially thanks for the info on the Ducati shock. I will be looking into that.

Mad
            83 GS750E
            2006 ZX14
            2004 KTM 450 EXC
            2001 Yamaha Big Bear

Comment

Working...
            X