Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very nice '82 GPz 1100, as good as I've seen.

Default Very nice '82 GPz 1100, as good as I've seen.

I saw this '82 GPz1100 at the San Clemente cars & coffee a few weeks ago and it is about as good I've ever seen from a restoration perspective. I had one with stock exhaust and fuel injection and would return to that setup if I had it, because it was so civilized and never needed anything done to it. The price is up there but wow.

Not affiliated in any way, just a big fan of this particular model.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/d/dana-point-1982-kawasaki-gpz-1100-b2/7355951762.html

Tom

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

That bike is a real beauty!

rphillips is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Yes, nice job & sure brings back memories. Is there a good reason, or what was the main reason, most all the early model fuel inj. bikes would wind up with carbs?? even back in the day. I don't remember what yrs. the fuel inj. became more acceptable.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

What a gorgeous GPz. When I had my 550, I lusted after its big bore brother.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    Yes, nice job & sure brings back memories. Is there a good reason, or what was the main reason, most all the early model fuel inj. bikes would wind up with carbs?? even back in the day. I don't remember what yrs. the fuel inj. became more acceptable.
    Tunability. That old FI system was not very useful when you started modifying those bikes.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

I got away with a set of Wiseco 1166 pistons after one attempt at hone/rings failed to stop the oil burning. The FI didn't need any adjustment and I wouldn't have known how anyway, so luckily I was able to make it stop smoking. Probably about all you could get away with. Then stupid for selling it. I tripled my investment though, got $6500 for both of these...

Tank was original paint, all the rest spray can and clear coat, looked pretty decent considering. Snagged the exhaust off an '81 parts bike which had an analog fuel injection. It wasn't the black chrome, it was a satin finish. The 81 had a huge ugly instrument pod and no bikini fairing.

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Tunability. That old FI system was not very useful when you started modifying those bikes.
    Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-25-2021 at 03:00 PM.
    Tom

The Suzi is a better bike in almost every way, yet the Kaw commands three to four times the price. Always been this way, always will.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

For sure the GS handles better. The GPz fit me really well since I'm pretty tall, was smooth and plenty fast, and the FI was really good with near instant warmup and great throttle response. If it handled like the GS I'd have preferred it overall. Looks are subjective, I like both quite a lot. I didn't like the tall stock GS bars but that's easily changed as I've done.

Kawi had a cool feature, at a stop, up from first went to neutral and wouldn't jump to 2nd. No anti-dive gimmickry either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob S. View Post
    The Suzi is a better bike in almost every way, yet the Kaw commands three to four times the price. Always been this way, always will.
    Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-25-2021 at 03:15 PM.
    Tom

Nessism is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Big KZ's of that era had a reputation for burning oil. zed1015 knows why better than me but something to do with how they bored the liners.

Yeah I had a brand new '82 KZ1000J that I got in Texas, and it used a quart every 700 miles or so, which was annoying. Dealer said it was 'normal' which I guess is true. It got stolen in Athens Greece, that was a big hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nessism View Post
    Big KZ's of that era had a reputation for burning oil. zed1015 knows why better than me but something to do with how they bored the liners.
    Tom