tubeless tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
    so, looking for some new tires, it seems the 90/90-19 front tire i needs is fairly rare, and expensive.

is it possible to fit a 100/90-19 on the rim instead?
    I'm running a 100/90 Shinko 230 on the 1.85" rim on my 1100E. It is a bit pinched, but it works fine.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by GSDoubleDyl View Post
      Hey SkyfangR:

Someone with direct knowledge of your machine will probably post but I can offer the following.

I did a quick Googly and it seems to indicate your model had stock tire size:
      Front tire: 3.60in wide - 19in wheel (3.60-19)
      Rear tire: 4.60 in wide - 16in wheel (4.60-16)

These would convert directly to metric size:
      Front tire: 91.44mm wide x 100% tall - 19in wheel (so approx. 90/100-19)
      Rear tire: 116.84mm wide x 100% tall - 16in wheel (so approx. 120/100-16)

On another thread I posted this:
      "This link seems to make sense for fitting tires to rim size (check on your wheel rim for a listed size: probably 1.85-19 and 2.5-17?):
      https://dropbears.com/motorcycles/utilities/tyrerim.htm "

The manufacturer website for the tire you choose may also list acceptable wheel width for the tire size they offer if you wanted to be sure.

Your wheel rim width is probably 1.85 (check on the rim sidewall) and so yes, I would expect a 100mm x 90% - 19in (100/90-19) tire will be just the ticket!
      Question is; were the original inch spec tyres 100% aspect ratio?
      I don't think they'd been 100% since the 1940s, but possibly later for motorcycle tyres. I seem to recall they were about 90% in the later decades of inch size designation.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

well, more PO weirdness on my bike
        the current tires are IRC g-11 tires, which the internet tells me only come in tube type
        the valve stems currently on the bike however, are bolt on's, meaning there cant be a tube on these rims.
        did this guy mount tube type tires with no tubes?
        what the hell.

and i guess ill have to spring for a 90/90-19 front tire, because a 100/90 wont fit with the front fender on. good news is the rear 120/90-16 seems to be plentiful, so shouldnt have any problems with that one
        1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

The tubes on motorcycles have bolt in valve stems also. I don't remember being able to tell if tubeless or tube installed, from looking the outside.
          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            The tubes on motorcycles have bolt in valve stems also. I don't remember being able to tell if tubeless or tube installed, from looking the outside.
            oh. this i did not know. my only real experience with tire tubes comes from my bicycling days. none of the tubes i ever used or saw had bolt/nuts on them.
            1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

Originally posted by SkyfangR View Post
              well, more PO weirdness on my bike
              did this guy mount tube type tires with no tubes?
              As noted, motorcycle tube valve stems can be clamped into the rim. Post a picture or two and I am sure we can sort it out. Or take the tire off and see what you find.

Mark
              1982 GS1100E
              1998 ZX-6R
              2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

I wanted to finally post again and update on my tube/tubeless saga. Life intervened for the past couple months and I finally managed to get the poor suffering GS850 back together and out for a road test.

Keep in mind most of this stuff is new to me and I'm doing the best I can...

What I did:
                Replaced fork seals and reinstalled forks.
                Replaced rear shocks with EMGO Classics.
                Replaced bearings on front/rear rims (no comment on bearing brand!
                Mounted BT-46s on original front/rear rims with NO TUBES
                Balanced both wheels on manual rotation balancer.
                Put everything back together.

Problems:
                Rear wheel would not turn AT ALL after remounting. After confirming things were put back in the correct order I developed a theory that I hadn't set the bearings in fully because I was scared to bash them and it was binding when the axle was torqued. Took it apart, set bearings in to bearing seat shoulder. Success.

Front tire did not seat symmetrically all around bead and had slight leak. I tried releasing pressure and rolled the bike around to see if it would squish things into place. No. Inflated to high pressure to see if it would force bead seat into place. No. Developed theory that the cold rubber had developed a misshapen 'set' in that part of the tire and figured heating it with a good ride on the highway and a few of our local highway bumps would shake things into place when warm. Oddly?, success! After about 15 kilometers the vibrations stopped and following examination revealed the tire now symmetrically set on the rim. I'm sure this approach will not be the most recommended but I did ease up to speed with the intention of calling things off if the vibrations got out of hand.

Summary:
                Doing all of the above myself was an interesting experience and I feel like I learned a lot. After the front tire finally calmed down, the ride felt smooth as silk and much better than before I began. I had a great run out for a couple hours to an outlying community and will post some pics in the GS Stories board.

Peace, out.

2 Months ago. Poor GS.

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!

Things balance out.

The safest and most inclusive global community of photography enthusiasts. The best place for inspiration, connection, and sharing!
                Last edited by GSDoubleDyl; 10-24-2021, 10:16 PM.
                "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
                2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
                2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
                1979 Suzuki GS850GN
                2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Good to hear you got it sorted out.
                  1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                  X