Brass Nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Nuts

I have been meaning to over the years to swap the exhaust port nuts from the ridiculous mild steel nuts to brass for my bikes.
    There always used to be brass nuts on the exhaust manifolds on cars a long time ago.
    No fear of them corroding and seizing on. All the endless messing if the stud breaks... I know that my GS originally came with bolts but over time they have morphed to studs.
    I have finally remembered to order some.

Brass Exhaust Manifold Nuts - Metric Pitch High Temp Inlet M8 M10 & UNF UNC | eBay
    sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

The nuts are not all that bad, but the po$tage i$ a bit expen$ive.

Comment

The seller obviously can't be bothered with export paperwork, post Brexit, so has gone for the nuclear option. Ebay wants me to pay £46 shipping to Ireland, but shipping within the UK is free.
      ---- Dave
      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
        The nuts are not all that bad, but the po$tage i$ a bit expen$ive.
        It's not all that bad, if you buy 100 of the M8's it's down to $3.92 per nut from $33.12 per nut if you only buy 8.

Comment

Seems like the seller/shipper may have a set of 'brass balls' for charging that much for shipping.

Comment

Stainless from your local hardware store is much better and stronger

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
              Stainless from your local hardware store is much better and stronger
              Not for me. Stainless is a PIA when it binds up and on an exhaust it has plenty of opportunity to.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
                Seems like the seller/shipper may have a set of 'brass balls' for charging that much for shipping.
                Got them too...

Bearing Warehouse Brass Balls - Metric & Imperial Sizes G500 | eBay
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                  Not for me. Stainless is a PIA when it binds up and on an exhaust it has plenty of opportunity to.
                  I was gonna ask why brass vs stainless. I used stainless studs and nuts with anti seize on my exhaust cause I thought that was the recommended solution.
                  Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                  2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Buy a set of VW exhaust studs and nuts. They fit most Suzuki GS bikes. The nuts will be brass if the kit is correct. In the US under the brand Dorman part #03109. I see them a lot for about $2.50 for two studs and nuts. Where ever you live odds are someone sells the VW exhaust hardware. Or you could use plated steel nuts and graphite based antiseize.
                    1981 GS1100E
                    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                    X