Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacement Gas Tank Options

Hi Everyone,

Quick question. I’m in the process of getting my project 1981 GS1000 running again. The tank that came on it is basically held together by JB Weld tank putty and it keeps springing leaks on me. The ones I’ve redone seem to hold okay but there’s a lot of it from the previous owner.

I was wondering if there are any good aftermarket options to replace the tank. I can’t seem to find any that are appropriate. The tank size is around 4gal. Thanks in advance!

I'm not aware of any aftermarket gas tanks for any of the GS series.

Most of your options are:

1. Buy another used tank from someone. Usually these are priced fairly high if they are in decent condition. But this forum is your best bet for finding someone with one to sell.

2. Usually tanks are specific to a year/model but some are close enough that they will work with a little modification to either the tank or the bike. If you have the skills and equipment.

3. Buy a parts bike with a good enough tank and sell/hoard/scrap the rest. This is often a more reasonable option than you might think, and goes for some other parts besides the tank as well. Just a bit more work.

3. If the exterior of your current tank is acceptable (or you can get it there), there are tank liner products you can mix up, pour in as a goo, and slosh around to make a solid plastic liner inside the tank. If done right, it will never leak again. Some products are worse than others, the one I think I've seen mentioned the most as being fairly high-quality is made by Caswell.
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I had two tiny, rice grain sized holes along a seam on my tank. I used JB weld on the outside of the tank and let it dry completely. Then I lined the inside with Caswell. Haven't had an issue in the 5 years since.
      Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
      2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

The GS850 tank from '80-81 is the same as the GS1000G tank for the same years.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          The GS850 tank from '80-81 is the same as the GS1000G tank for the same years.
          True, but he said capacity was about 4 gallons. Would that not be an E? The G is 5.8 gallons.

On the other hand, he did say '81. The only 1000 in '81 was a GL, which is a different tank altogether.

Comment

If it is a G then I've got a tank.
            Roger

Current rides
            1983 GS 850G
            2003 FJR 1300A
            Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I guess we'll have to wait for him to reply.

New guys don't always catch on how quickly this forum moves

Comment

Originally posted by phydeauxmutt View Post
                I guess we'll have to wait for him to reply.

New guys don't always catch on how quickly this forum moves

You are correct on me not knowing how quickly things move here.

it’s a GS1000G. I looked it up online and found that listed as the tank size somewhere. It’s very possible it’s the larger option listed below. I always thought it looked larger than 4 gal but it’s hard to know for sure bc the tank isn’t labeled and I just got it running so I haven’t put a full tank of gas in it yet.

Comment

Quinton,
                  Look at the tank in this album and let me know if you'ree interested. There's also an unopened batch of Por-15 in the album. I bought it two years ago but didn't need to use it. It's been in a cabinet here and should be fine since it's unopened.

The tank has light rust inside and may be fine just flushing it out, but with Por-15 it'll be guaranteed to last as long as the bike does.

PM or emaill me if you're interested and we'll work out details.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    Quinton,
                    Look at the tank in this album and let me know if you'ree interested. There's also an unopened batch of Por-15 in the album. I bought it two years ago but didn't need to use it. It's been in a cabinet here and should be fine since it's unopened.

The tank has light rust inside and may be fine just flushing it out, but with Por-15 it'll be guaranteed to last as long as the bike does.

PM or emaill me if you're interested and we'll work out details.
                    Hey man,

I tried to send you a PM but it said your inbox was full.

Comment

Originally posted by Quinton View Post
                      Hey man,

Send an email to him. You can get the address through his profile.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Quinton View Post
                        Hey man,

Sorry, had no idea.

Made some room in the inbox...
                        Last edited by Burque73; 08-18-2021, 11:21 PM.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Quinton,
                          I went back and looked at the PM I sent you initially which included my phone number. Feel free to call or text.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

My GS850 cafe project came with a beat up tank that i KNOW is not stock, but for the life of me I can't find anyone who can tell me generally what other non GS850 tanks will fit on the bike. What I plan to do, and what I suggest is this:

Take the tank off the bike, and take pictures of it - front, top, side, underneath, and especially wherever the bolts fit the frames. Measure everything, and make notes on the photos digitally if you can. every conceivable dimension you can measure, do so. Then go looking for anything that has similar dimensions.

Comment

Originally posted by jables617 View Post
                              My GS850 cafe project came with a beat up tank that i KNOW is not stock, but for the life of me I can't find anyone who can tell me generally what other non GS850 tanks will fit on the bike. What I plan to do, and what I suggest is this:

Take the tank off the bike, and take pictures of it - front, top, side, underneath, and especially wherever the bolts fit the frames. Measure everything, and make notes on the photos digitally if you can. every conceivable dimension you can measure, do so. Then go looking for anything that has similar dimensions.

A lot of the bigger shafty, or G models, used the same tank. You can use a tank from an 82 GS1100GK on an 82 GS850G, for instance. Same thing for pre 82 models, as in 80 and 81. I'm not sure about pre 80 models though.
                              Roger

Current rides
                              1983 GS 850G
                              2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Working...
                              X