Deeply grateful new member Phil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deeply grateful new member Phil

Last January, when my 17 yo son asked me for a ICE of any sort to disassemble. He started to search for a snowblower but I ended up with a 1982 GS650GL in my garage.
    Aside from having myself a Yamaha 650 Maxim during my younger years and some basic mechanics skills, we knew nothing about the beast.
    The bike had been sitting outside of a suburban driveway for 11 years. The previous owner just pour 3 gallons of oil in the engine and let it under sun, wind and a lot of snow.
    Most bolts were seized. The rear brake was stuck. The rear master cylinder was stuck, and so on and so on; you get the picture.
    After some searches, I found this forum. Wow!
    Fortunately, any question we would have had been already asked and perfectly answered several time by the community. I didn't even need to post: everything was answered.
    Finally, after hundred of hours, he managed to start the engine last week. Not perfect yet but it runs.
    That have been an adventure that just couldn't have succeed without this forum.
    Special thanks to BikeCliff, bwringer, Nessim, Robert from cycleorings and all contributors for your insights and wisdom.
    Here is a before/after picture.
    Best regards,
    Phil

Welcome to the site, Phil.
    Motorcycle restoration is a great way to spend time with a child.
    Nice job on the bike.
    2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Good story, thanks for sharing.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

THanks Rich. (I just spent a good amount of time trying to get the google drive addrrss for those - no go.) ( I see you did screen shots... )
          Last edited by Redman; 07-27-2021, 09:33 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yeah, I found now way to download the photos from the google drive, so I screen shot them, then uploaded to Imgur.

Which leads me to: Phil, if you want to post good and multiple photos in the forum (and who wouldn’t), it can be tricky. The pictures should be stored and shared from a pic hosting website like Imgur or Flickr. Google drive/photos doesn’t work for this purpose because the forum needs the BBCode of the image, and google doesn’t give you that. If you’re interested, there’s a link in my signature about how to use Imgur for this purpose. Flickr procedure is similar, both of these sites are still free with no limit as far as I know.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Phil View Post
              The bike had been sitting outside of a suburban driveway for 11 years. The previous owner just pour 3 gallons of oil in the engine and let it under sun, wind and a lot of snow..
              Finally, after hundred of hours, he managed to start the engine last week. Not perfect yet but it runs.
              Congratulations.

I suspect maybe had more than one thing that need to be done to get the engine to fire up. Good carb cleaning and what else in this case....?

So... we have a new rider now, I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                Flickr procedure is similar, both of these sites are still free with no limit as far as I know.
                Flickr’s free account setup has a limit of 1,000 pictures
                sigpic
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I stand corrected
                  Rich
                  1982 GS 750TZ
                  2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Welcome Phil from another Canadien.
                    The bike looks great. I hope you had a good time on this project with your son. Felicitations!
                    My daughter is now 17 and just did her bike course and license which means the Honda Grom in my list is no longer mine for bombing to work!

I expect to be in Montreal on August 21 to set my daughter up for university first term. Sure wish I was on bike! Back in La Belle Province in Septembre for a stay in Baie-Comeau and then Quebec Cite during a Trans Labrador ride on adventure bikes.

Moi et mes amis on fait transit autour le Gaspe en 2019 et c'etait formidable! Le premier fois que j'ai eu la chance de parler francais depuis les plusieurs annees que j'ai quitte le Nouveau Brunswick!

Salut mon ami.
                    - Dylan
                    "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
                    2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
                    2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
                    1979 Suzuki GS850GN
                    2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

Working...
                    X