Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy in Canada

Hi,

just a little intro…I have been babysitting my sons 1980 GS850g for about 2 years now. I seem to be the guy that stores everyone’s bikes at my place. Would be nice if they dropped by with beer on occasion. At least I have stuff to keep me busy.

a little about me…

Factory trained harley mechanic
    Went to college for a museum restoration diploma
    Mechanic and instructor at what was North America’s largest rider training program for most of the last decade
    Work part time at a bike shop (mostly to keep sharp)
    AMCA member
    And I love all bikes!

My name is Craig, thanks for having me!

Just to see if I could load a pic of the GS850, my son took her off a bit off a cliff on the Cabot trail so we redid her in a nice old school met orange. I liked how it turned out…still the urge to CafÈ it is there…
    1F5196C0-9885-44C0-88B2-60DE5896CFC8.jpg

Comment

Welcome, image hosting is best, I use Imgur and it's a few steps but I got it down pretty quickly and now bore people with my photos all the time. The uploaded image method is pretty limited.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Welcome Craig. We definitely need to see better pictures of that bike. As Tom wrote, set up an account on Imgur, learn how to post pics, link in my signature.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Welcome Dablaze. I'm a newbie here myself. Need to repost my intro after posting it in the wrong place first time
          Sorry to hear about the dust up on the Cabot! Would like to see a larger pick of the orange paint job as it looks pretty good in the small version.
          Cabot Trail is a great run. Being from province NL, we've done it a few times leaving and returning to the ferry crossing in North Sydney. Counter-clock is definitely the more exciting direction! Knee down in the curves (feeling like you're) hanging over the water ups the pucker factor! Haven't had my GS850 there (yet) but my old Hornet 600 and weeStrom 650 were good for it.
          Peeking out under the COVID veil, we're planning to leave NL this Sep 7 to do Trans-Labrador, Q-City, Bang-ger (hope the border is go by then!), then top it off with Cabot again on Sep 16 before checking in for the ferry. (There are a few stops in between of course
          Raising a beer to you and your babysitting Craig!
          - Dylan
          "So I'm gonna write my words on the face of today. And then they'll paint it"

2008 Honda CRF230L - Sold
          2004 Honda CB600F Hornet - Sold
          2015 Suzuki Vstrom DL650XT
          1979 Suzuki GS850GN
          2018 Honda Grom 125

Comment

I will offer a belated welcome, Craig, as I just saw your posts.

This site has lots of info on all of the GS bikes. You can search for almost anything, and if you are still left wondering, there are many members who are willing to help whenever necessary.
            With you being a professional mechanic the help might not be necessary, but lots of tips could be helpful.

I rode Cabot clockwise on my GS1100GK, with a number of side trips over two days.
            Perhaps I had just a little better luck as both wheels stayed on the road, all the way round.

Wonderful, wonderful trip.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Working...
            X