Oil leak around exhaust bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak around exhaust bolts

Hi All, I had recently replaced a rusted out V&H exhaust system on my bike (1982 GS850gl) with a Delkevic exhaust. i had a hard time removing to bolts and a few snapped in the process. I purchased some replacement bolts and hooked the whole thing back up and what Im seeing is, what appears to be oil leaking from around the bolts. has this happened to anyone?
    sigpicA distinguished Gentleman's ride

1981 Suzuki GS850gl, Café Racer!

Built, not Bought!

It may be coming from the tachometer drive there is a small seal and oring in there it is prone to leaking, or the cam cover
    if you cannot locate the leak clean/degrease the area dry and spray on foot powder start up the bike and look for damp in the powder.
    The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
    1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
    past bikes. RF900
    TL1000s
    Hayabusa
    gsx 750f x2
    197cc Francis Barnett
    various British nails

Comment

Great. Thank you!! will do and get back

Built, not Bought!

Comment

Yep, what he said, no other source of oil near those bolts. Another thought, I've found holding exhaust in place while getting collars & flanges lined up & bolts started without being cross threaded is waaay easier with waaay less chance of twisting bolts off if studs are installed in place of the bolts. It made a world of difference for me.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Great advice. Thanks again!

Built, not Bought!

Comment

No idea whether this is your problem or not, but there have been cases where someone drilled too far when dealing with exhaust bolts and punched through into the area under the camshafts.

To recover from that, you'd need to figure out where you punched through, determine whether the head is now scrap or not, install studs with some sort of sealer around the threads, and make sure you limit the depth so that they're not contacting anything inside.

But the tacho seals or oil dripping from a leaky valve cover gasket are far more common.

1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X