Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS550e with CV carbs - stuck inlet manifold screws

Hi

Need to change the inner inlet manifold and the screws are stuck solid. I dont want to chew up the head just yet so have tried knocking the edge of the screw head with a flat driver to try to turn it with out success.
    I've removed carbs and I think the best solution would be an impact driver but there is not enough room to get a normal impact driver in and hit it. And Im not sure I could even get my drill in as a last resort to drill the head off

Im sure this is a common problem so anybody recommend a type of impact driver that will fit/work? Or an alternative idea?

Also, could anybody recommend after market inlet manifolds? (Im not paying the ridiculous Suzuki prices )

Thanks

1982 GS550Ez, 1980 Yam RD350LC 4L0, 1980 Yam DT175,
    1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
    London UK

Grab the side of the screw with some vice grips and crack it loose. Once the outside screw is out you can try spinning the boot CCW to see if the screw comes along for the ride (it often does.)
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Most impact drivers have a removable head. What is under there is likely a 3/8" square drive, so just get a couple of extensions so the body of the driver is over the airbox and battery area, giving you plenty of room to give it a good smack.

Be sure to use the proper bit. It's actually going to be a JIS screw, but a #3 Phillips bit in the driver will work just fine. Be sure to toss those junk screws away when you get them out. Replacements are available from cycleorings.com, where you can also find replacement o-rings, if your new manifolds don't come with them.

Comment

thanks both,
        Ive tried doing the outer screw first with the idea I might be able ot turn the manifold but I think even the outer is too tight for grips so I didnt try as I havent got the manifold yet. I siliconed the manifold and put everything back and it seems to be holding for now but once I get the manifolds I can give it a go
        Good to know that with extensions you can get them past the airbox and hit it. I've got JIS screwdrivers but think I'll invest in a JIS impact bit before I do this.

I'll report back to complete the thread when I do it
        Cheers
        Last edited by ajh; 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM.

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
        London UK

Comment

Has anyone experience of using Chinese inlet manifolds? They look right other than sh1tty hose clips but is quality ok?
          Last edited by ajh; 07-31-2021, 11:20 AM.

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
          London UK

Comment

Originally posted by ajh View Post
            Has anyone experience of using Chinese inlet manifolds? They look right other than sh1tty hose clips but is quality ok?
            I bought a cheap set for my XJ and gave them a good inspection. They didn't fall apart, but I've yet to fit them.
            Others who bought some of the cheap ones have been happy with them for many miles but some other ones have fallen apart (bad bonding to the flange, vac inserts falling out, etc), but that's happened within a few thousand miles of use.
            I'll probably fit these and see how they go. It's a crap shoot.
            I'd have been happier if mine had been available from cruzinimage, as he normally stands by his stuff.
            Last edited by Grimly; 07-31-2021, 04:50 PM.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Hi

Need to change the inner inlet manifold and the screws are stuck solid. I dont want to chew up the head just yet so have tried knocking the edge of the screw head with a flat driver to try to turn it with out success.
              I've removed carbs and I think the best solution would be an impact driver but there is not enough room to get a normal impact driver in and hit it. And Im not sure I could even get my drill in as a last resort to drill the head off

Im sure this is a common problem so anybody recommend a type of impact driver that will fit/work? Or an alternative idea?

Also, could anybody recommend after market inlet manifolds? (Im not paying the ridiculous Suzuki prices )

Thanks
              When the screw tightens the threads on the side of the screw facing the head are in firm contact with the threads in the head because of the tension. Hitting the head of the screw hard a few times can help break the screw loose. The other suggestions were good too, just pound on it a few times before you try.

Check at the LINK HERE, I bought some new recently made Japanese intakes for an 83 GS1100E, they came in an envelope from Tokyo. They were perfect, and the price was right. I don't know if he has them for your model.
              1981 GS1100E
              1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

thanks both, Cruz image look good, I have ordered them
                Does anybody do the carb to airbox rubbers? I want to change them as well at the same time but cant find pattern parts
                Cheers

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                London UK

Comment

I have had success with a small chisel,not real sharp or you will cut it, Just catch the edge of the screw and tap it in the proper direction..removed many that way...A lot of good ideas out there...
                  sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
                    I have had success with a small chisel,not real sharp or you will cut it, Just catch the edge of the screw and tap it in the proper direction..removed many that way...A lot of good ideas out there...
                    Thanks, I tried an old screwdriver and then a centre punch but both were cutting in and not moving the scew so I stopped because I didnt have the new manifolds. When I next try it I'll get a little more 'persistent'

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                    London UK

Comment

So got around to changing the inlet manifolds today so if it helps anyone else heres the details. Got Cruzinimage replacements (great service, good price and they look quality). I managed to get an impact driver to loosen 7 of them by using 1/2 inch extension bars, a 6 inch and a 4inch and moving the airbox just enough out of the way. The last screw (outer left bottom screw) was difficult to get to and rounded so I got some large pump pliers on the inlet manifold and turned it and it loosened the screw.
                      2 o rings were broken and one manifold the rubber had come away from the metal so all replaced with new allen screws and plenty of copperslip, made a big difference, runs great except now have a fuel starvation problem on full throttle to investigate. Expected a trapped fuel pipe but not so. Bit weird, Im sure it wasnt there before I did the manifolds today but then maybe as its running better its highlighted the problem

1977 Yam RD250D(Sold)
                      London UK

Comment

Yep, a right angle drill or right angle adaptor, preferably with a left-hand drill bit, will make short work of these accursed screws. No need to be gentle or delicate.

And yep, if you can get one loose, just twist the boot to get the other moving.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                        X