fuelcock/petcock replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuelcock/petcock replacement

anyone have any experience with these sub-$20 petcocks?

like this one
    1 x Fuel Valve Petcock. 1981 Suzuki GS1000G. 1982-1983 Suzuki GS1100E. 1983 Suzuki GS1100ES. 1982-1983 Suzuki GS1100G. 1984 Suzuki GS1100GK. 1982-1983 1985 Suzuki GS300L. 1983 Suzuki GS450E.
    1985 Suzuki GS450L

No, I've not needed to replace a pet cock. I'm one of the lucky ones, I've rebuilt several & all worked fine. Last problem I had was on my 2005 Bandit, 4 or 5 yrs. ago. I just cleaned the seat & seal, stretched the spring, just a little, no problem since.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

If/ when I do replace my petcock I well buy one from https://www.georgefixs.com/. They make/sell OEM style, year/model specific petcocks all around $50. I have read only good things, but don’t know anyone on this site who’s used one yet.

I would stay away from the eBay cheapos.
      Rich
      1982 GS 750TZ
      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
        If/ when I do replace my petcock I well buy one from https://www.georgefixs.com/. They make/sell OEM style, year/model specific petcocks all around $50. I have read only good things, but don’t know anyone on this site who’s used one yet.

I would stay away from the eBay cheapos.
        I bought one from him 11 years ago.....still working , but lever is getting hard to turn, so I just ordered a replacement as precaution
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

anyone know if there's any model cross-compatibility for fuel gauge senders?

looking for part 34810-44901. wondering if i can use units from different models
          1985 Suzuki GS450L

Comment

I am bringing back this months old petcock thread because I am now searching for one for my '81 850G and the conventional wisdom of getting the assembled oem part from a reliable vendor (Parts Shark, Parts Outlaw, Z-1, Bike Bandit) and be done with it does not seem possible in my case. All of those vendors show that part as not available and the one on the GeeorgeFix site that Rich links is for the "81 L model 850 not the standard G.

That appears to leave me with no choice but the $15-25 ebay offerings that most say avoid (and from my experience with good reason). Rebuild kits are still available but that has been discouraged in the past and anyway I am not sure I have all of the pieces of my old petcock

Has anyone had any experience dealing with any of these ebay fuel cock sellers? or does anyone have another vendor/source they could suggest?

Get the best deals for fuel petcock for 1981 suzuki GS850G motorcycle at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

I got one from Amazon (link) that's been working OK on my 79 GS1000E. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before it will give problems but it's been almost a year. Oddly/sadly the OEM one I got from Partzilla for my GS1100E has issues, prime is not working. I'm not ruling out that the OEM one got something in it, haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.

Originally posted by dpep View Post
              I am bringing back this months old petcock thread because I am now searching for one for my '81 850G and the conventional wisdom of getting the assembled oem part from a reliable vendor (Parts Shark, Parts Outlaw, Z-1, Bike Bandit) and be done with it does not seem possible in my case. All of those vendors show that part as not available and the one on the GeeorgeFix site that Rich links is for the "81 L model 850 not the standard G.

That appears to leave me with no choice but the $15-25 ebay offerings that most say avoid (and from my experience with good reason). Rebuild kits are still available but that has been discouraged in the past and anyway I am not sure I have all of the pieces of my old petcock

Has anyone had any experience dealing with any of these ebay fuel cock sellers? or does anyone have another vendor/source they could suggest?

Get the best deals for fuel petcock for 1981 suzuki GS850G motorcycle at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I'm glad this topic has come back up because I have the same issue. I purchased an aftermarket rebuild kit that I'm going to attempt, but if that doesn't work I'll try the Amazon one and see how it goes.
                - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  I got one from Amazon (link) that's been working OK on my 79 GS1000E. Perhaps it's just a matter of time before it will give problems but it's been almost a year. Oddly/sadly the OEM one I got from Partzilla for my GS1100E has issues, prime is not working. I'm not ruling out that the OEM one got something in it, haven't had time to fiddle with it yet.
                  Just my opinion but I would say you got lucky. In my past experiences I usually get what I pay for.
                  When I replaced mine on the gs1000e, I went with the pingle. Sure, more money but like I said, you get what you pay for.
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                  '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                  '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                  '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                  '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post

Just my opinion but I would say you got lucky. In my past experiences I usually get what I pay for.
                    When I replaced mine on the gs1000e, I went with the pingle. Sure, more money but like I said, you get what you pay for.
                    Larry, your Pringle is manually operated, correct? My issue is that I would forget to turn off a manual petcock more than half the time and regularly have gasoline in my cylinders, crankcase, and on my garage floor. Too many years with vacuum operated ones for me to unlearn. I would certainly buy oem if they were available.

Since I can buy 3 or 4 of the ebay cheapos for the price of one oem I think that is what I will do. Then just test them on the tank hoping that one of the four won't leak gas in the vacuum off positions. The one i have on there now is a cheapo that does not pass the test.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Yeah, I also could not be trusted whatsoever with a manual petcock. My wife had a Honda with one aeons ago, and while I didn't do too bad turning it off (and fortunately it didn't fill the engine with gas if we forgot) neither of us was very good at turning the damn thing on until we tried to pull out onto the busy highway and the engine died...

Anyhoo. Cycle Recycle II downtown (they're about 20-25 minutes from my house) would appear to have petcocks for Don's bike and many others, and in my experience these have worked well.
                      OE Style Fuel Petcocks for Suzuki motorcycles in CRC2's Online Catalog of New motorcycle Parts and Accessories Indy
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        Anyhoo. Cycle Recycle II downtown (they're about 20-25 minutes from my house) would appear to have petcocks for Don's bike and many others, and in my experience these have worked well.
                        https://newmotorcycleparts.net/fuel_...cocks_suz.html
                        Brian, thanks for link. The one shown for my bike however has the smaller lever arm that I believe began with the '82 models. Those work not at all well for my big fat carpal tunnel fingers. Also it shows both the vacuum and gas nipples extending toward the back of the bike, the opposite of the oem.

They are showing the same part for the '81, '82, and '83 850G and also the '81GL. There is a different number for the '80 850GL and none showing for the 850G. I know these guys are competent but that's not how I recollect the model mix/match. Do you know if there are different petcock bolt patterns across the GS models? .

Nature bats last.

Comment

Larry, your Pringle is manually operated, correct? My issue is that I would forget to turn off a manual petcock more than half the time and regularly have gasoline in my cylinders, crankcase, and on my garage floor. Too many years with vacuum operated ones for me to unlearn. I would certainly buy oem if they were available.

Since I can buy 3 or 4 of the ebay cheapos for the price of one oem I think that is what I will do. Then just test them on the tank hoping that one of the four won't leak gas in the vacuum off positions. The one i have on there now is a cheapo that does not pass the test.
                          Yes it is manually operated and lucky for me, I become a bit anal about stuff like that and I have trained myself to turn it off within the last half mile of my destination. So far, so good.
                          Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Brian, thanks for link. The one shown for my bike however has the smaller lever arm that I believe began with the '82 models. Those work not at all well for my big fat carpal tunnel fingers. Also it shows both the vacuum and gas nipples extending toward the back of the bike, the opposite of the oem.

They are showing the same part for the '81, '82, and '83 850G and also the '81GL. There is a different number for the '80 850GL and none showing for the 850G. I know guys are competent but that's not how I recollect the model mix/match. Do you know if there are different petcock bolt patterns across the GS models?
                            I didn't see one listed for the 79 model year of the gs 1000e. Last time I checked with the parts fish at the dealership, they apparently thought their OEM petcocks were made of gold. Nearly $300 if I remember correctly. I just now checked and it appears to be NLA.

Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Last night I ordered three vacuum petcocks from three different vendors ranging in price from 17 to 27 dollars. As they arrive I will put them on the tank, now removed from the bike, and put in a couple of gallons. I am looking for a completely bone dry fuel nipple after several days of sitting both in the On and Reserve positions. If none of these produce that, I will order some more.

Nature bats last.

Comment

Working...
                              X