Gasoline IV bottle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasoline IV bottle

I had a wicked round TIG welded aluminum gas IV bottle it even had a tube on the side where you could see the gas level. I loaned it out, and it didn't come back. I am looking for ideas to make a decent basic cheap setup with an on off valve. My old one might still come back, I just need one soon. Does anyone have any ideas.
    1981 GS1100E
    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Motion Pro makes one, sells on Amazon for about $48.

Or this one from Alpha Moto for about $39

I’m sure you could put together something similar for less $.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I usa a generic coolant overflow tank like this

Fuel line and plastic lawn mover shutoff valve from auto zone.
      Roger

Current rides
      1983 GS 850G
      2003 FJR 1300A
      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

universal coolant reservoir from orilleys...under 10 bucks. get whatever length of 1/4 inch fuel line you want and a double ended brass barb. Find a tractor supply or local small engine place and get one of those red levered lawnmower fuel shutoff valves. probably be under 20 bucks all in. I had an old lamp stand tat was about 5 ft tall and that became my iv bottle holder
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
          universal coolant reservoir from orilleys...under 10 bucks. get whatever length of 1/4 inch fuel line you want and a double ended brass barb. Find a tractor supply or local small engine place and get one of those red levered lawnmower fuel shutoff valves. probably be under 20 bucks all in. I had an old lamp stand tat was about 5 ft tall and that became my iv bottle holder
          I must have heard you mention it somewhere and adopted the idea. Works like a charm.

I like using a length of clear hose from the bottle so I can see the flow. The clear section gets rock hard after a while though.

Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

thats my setup. may i make a suggestion? move the shut off as close tp the barb as is practical. Reason is that when you disconnect the bottle much less gas will drip out.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I bought one of those motion pro tanks (although it certainly wasn't $40 then!) and it worked okay except that it I left gas in it overnight once and the gas ate through the plastic near the barb. I need to find a replacement metal barb (with gas-proof seals) for it someday but I have no idea what to look for.
              Charles
              --
              1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I use a plastic gallon fuel can with a hole cut in it for a valved outlet.
                With fuel in it, it hangs nicely from the ceiling beam in the workshop.

---- Dave
                79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Good idea...I used an oil injector tank from a old dirt bike
                  sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

That looks really close to what I am looking for. No more than I need one I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. If I hound that guy enough I just might get my old one back. Thanks
                    1981 GS1100E
                    1982 GS1100E

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle

Comment

Iron Pony motor sports out here in Columbus OH sells one similar to what Rich posted for not a lot of money. I could pick one up for you the next time I head over there and ship it to you. If interested, send me a message and we can work out the payment details
                      sigpic
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I`m too cheap for all that. I set the bike`s tank on one of my Harbor Freight workmate clone things and ran some hoses to the carbs. I hope the welded one finds its way back. that sounds nice.
                        Dogma
                        --
                        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

I use a mini bike gas tank I bought on Fleabay. It was like $25 and it is steel with mounting bolts on the bottom. Have it mounted to a stand I can set up next to the bike. Fleabay has a crapload of options for this setup.
                          '83 GS 1100T
                          The Jet

sigpic
                          '95 GSXR 750w
                          The Rocket

I'm sick of all these Irish stereotypes! When I finish my beer, I'm punching someone in the face ! ! !

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                            Iron Pony motor sports out here in Columbus OH sells one similar to what Rich posted for not a lot of money. I could pick one up for you the next time I head over there and ship it to you. If interested, send me a message and we can work out the payment details
                            I appreciate the offer, if it turns out that I want one of those I will message you. I did go to their website ant look at it, looks pretty good.
                            1981 GS1100E
                            1982 GS1100E

Comment

Exactly what I use.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X