Well, I bought another 1150.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I bought another 1150.

Just bought my GS750 about 2 months ago and knew I wanted another 1150 as well. I bought this one yesterday. It runs good but I'll ride it a bit before teardown. Right away I checked the charging system (I've had 2 1150's previous) and of course it is weak so that will be first on the list. Rivets are loose on the rear rotor so that has to be addressed right away and I have to cut the right muffler apart from the hidden side and address a loose baffle. I'm sure there will be other issues. I prefer the look of the E and may look for an E headlight bucket for it. Originally planned to go the original 1986 paintscheme in white and blue but I'm kind of digging it the single dark colour so I may just spray it all black. Anyway, I'll be busy.
    Attached Files
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Other side. I've been lucky that both bikes I bought this year have been complete.
    Attached Files
    1986 1150EF
    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Wooo hooooo. Congratulations. While I do love the 85 / 86 factory paint, that does look good in black. The red S sets it off. If you're planning to get an E light setup, look early, often, and be prepared to pay. You'll also need a different bracket to mount the gauge cluster.
      sigpic
      When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
      -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
      -Rusty old scooter.
      Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
      https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Yes: I was thinking that and also different mirrors. I was set to do the original style paint and turn it into an E but I think if I left the fairing on it will look a lot cleaner with black. I'll think on it a bit. Took it for an hour ride to see what else I have to address and it isn't too bad. Carbs need syncing, Mirrors fold back at 50KPH (I remember that feature) Rear brake is dragging a bit. I think it is charging okay though, I ran it with an alternator tester gauge I have and it gave a medium reading but thats probably based on cars. I had 12.8V when I started the ride and 13.1 when I got back so I think the charging system is fine. Here is my old E that I should have kept....
        I'm amazed that I had about 5 sets of decals printed up and kept them.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Big Block; 08-02-2021, 07:42 PM.
        1986 1150EF
        2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

That really looks good in black!
          1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
            '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Thank you Baatfam.
              1986 1150EF
              2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Great looking Bikes!!!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Originally posted by GSXR7ED
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Always loved the look of those late-model E's.
                  Charles
                  --
                  1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Probably boring you guys. This is a shot of my first 1150. Didn't do much on my project today, however I did pull off the rear wheel and repair the loose rivets on the brake rotor. Next little task will be to see what is broken on the speedometer drive and bleed the brakes. It sat for a few days and started pretty much as soon as I hit the button (like a good GS does) so overall I'm still pretty happy. I also found a stock airbox so hopefully I can pull the pods off soon and refresh the carbs although it runs great as is.
                    Attached Files
                    1986 1150EF
                    2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

1150- never boring. How did you tighten the bobbins on the rotor? Mine are showing some wear and I have a set of good ones, but the bobbins are quite loose.

Not sure where your speedo drive issue is, but here's some info on the wheel end. I also had the drive tabs disengage from the slots in he wheel on one of my GS bikes.

Last edited by dorkburger; 08-05-2021, 07:31 AM.
                        sigpic
                        When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                        -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Thank you for the link.
                          On the rotor I put it over piece of relatively good fitting pipe and then hit it with a tapered chisel to stretch the Bobbin out. Then I placed the Bobbins on flat iron and hit them square with a sledge hammer. That seemed to tighten everything up and keep it all square. I'm pulling the front wheel tomorrow and see what I need there. Then I'll be switching the plate from my 750 onto it and put some miles on it before I tear it down.
                          1986 1150EF
                          2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Speedo is repaired. The notches were worn thin, so I got out the welder, built them up a bit and filed, ground them down. All good. I pulled the plastics off and they're about the shape I thought they would be but the belly pan seems pretty good. Just have to inspect the trans output sprocket then I can order either a new chain or a chain and sprocket. Wheel sprocket is good still.
                            Attached Files
                            1986 1150EF
                            2008 GS1250SEA

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the rotors.
                              sigpic

Glen
                              -Rusty old scooter.

Comment

Working...
                              X