Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gasket/Seal and not reving while in gear sometimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gasket/Seal and not reving while in gear sometimes?

Hi! I'm new to the GS as I bought mine recently. I've been tinkering with it on my days off and finally got it running and driving but the RPMs will surge sometimes and wont rev while in gear on others. I've narrowed the surging RPMs to a bad intake boot on one of the carbs so ill be buying 4 new ones just in case, along with the little rubber plugs for the pilot jet in the carbs so it'll get enough fuel in the lower range. It has a small leak under the jug/head(the part of the head that holds the valves) and I took it off today to find a pristine gasket and 3(out of 4 I'm assuming) little gaskets/oil seals that look like little black rubber washers. I've looked at partzilla for the part but I've got several options so if anyone knows if this is the right part, please let me know. Also if the surging and not reving while in gear has happened to anyone else, please let me know the fix. Thanks! 1981 Suzuki GS650L
    partzilla part.jpg this is the only picture I took that is small enough for this site -_-

Lots to do here....please read.. find #1 post in thread

1A) (NEW) Trying to diagnose running problems on a bike with an unknown maintenance history. Common maintenance items like clean carbs, properly adjusted valves, no air leaks in the intake system (airbox, carb boots), a clean gas tank (no rust), and a properly functioning petcock are 100% mandatory for the bike to run properly.

where does camshaft cover leak? front,sides?
    can you post pic of this black rubber washer to clarify ?
    There’s a lot of stuff to do to get theses critters running right.....quickee solutions usually lead to frustration
    Last edited by tom203; 08-03-2021, 09:12 AM.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

It's the gasket right under the top part of the head underneath the valves. Sadly this site doesn't let me post the large pictures my phone takes so I cant show exactly where. I took the valve cover off and removed the camshafts and chain and then removed the top part of the head and that's where it was leaking from. It was leaking from the front left of the engine and that's where the missing oil seal was supposed to be.

Comment

Tom, I found to be what looks like the gasket I'm talking about. This one has only two little rubber seals on the corners. Those are the ones I'm looking for.
        https://www.ebay.com/itm/18449508690...sAAOSwd0dfja1V

Comment

I think I finally found the ones I'm looking for, I'll post the link in case anyone else is looking for these fuel/oil seals.

Buy Suzuki 09168-06023 - GASKET. This OEM part is guaranteed by Suzuki's limited part warranty ✓ FREE Shipping on qualified orders - Partzilla.com

Comment

What fun ! That’s the head gasket ....as far as I know new ones come with the oil seals installed in gasket....(there’s oil pressure running up thru each). So you took off head and found those oil seal washers floating around?
            As was previously mentioned, you should replace the the base gasket too ,as it will likely leak. A Genuine Suzuki head gasket ain’t cheap by itself....might want to search for a complete Suzuki OEM gasket set ,as you’ll likely need other gaskets.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Got it back together and runs now. I finally found the oil seals, their part number is 11143-06b00. I think I got them from partzilla so they're available. Now I need a place to sync my carbs. If anyone reads this and has a shop in middle Tennessee, leave the name of a reliable shop I can go to in order to get my GS running right. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
              X