Super WEIRD noise after highway run / introductory post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super WEIRD noise after highway run / introductory post

Hello guys, first off I’d like to say thank you for all of the help throughout the years from all of you. I finally have been stumped tonight and am joining officially seeking request on this issue!

So Went on a one hour each way 50 to 60 mile highway trip, I don’t think I was very hard on the bike mainly cruising around 70 mph. However during some passes I may have spiked up to 85-90 (according to garmin watch)

When I was arriving back to the house/when I got off the exit, I noticed a higher than usual idol probably no more than 1200 maybe 1300… I thought nothing of it and continue the rest of the mile or so home....
    when I was about to park, I noticed the super strange sound almost like a drone, but more of a craaaaa craaaaaa.

it was obvious that I probably have our time Explaining this sound, so I made a video. Hopefully it will be attached to this post if not I will be linking it after I upload it to YouTube. About an hour later when I try to re-create the problem to the wife, it wasn’t as noticeable but it was very faintly there....

History of this bike: I’ve had it for about a couple years now and it’s been daily driven year-round and well taken care of... I believe it is coming up on an oil change. But other than that and the minor oil leak it is redeveloping but nothing crazy.

The noise in question was coming from the lower engine mostly from the left side when you’re sitting on the bike. I can’t imagine if it would be the starter? Take a listen please and let me know any help is greatly appreciated thanks in advance for all of your help guys and looking forward to actually participating and sharing in the forms now that I am official😀

Here’s the vids:
    -please excuse the splooge of uv dye under carbs. Was diagnosing a minor drip earlier-

part1

part2 - more pronounced sound

Comment

Even though your noise seems to be coming from the bottom end do a search for "cam walk". [i can't currently see the videos]
      It is a rhythmic noise from the top end that rises and falls with the revs. Not a big problem.

Welcome to the site.
      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

In the second video,(the first is useless to my ears) I can hear a kind of rythmic scratching/rattling noise....that you almost got close to at the end of the video at the lower left front......It doesn't sound like "camwalk" to me at all...

(Please, youtube video people, STOP moving around. FIND the NOISE closest loudest approach BEFORE making the video and KEEP the Microphone still longer. )

Comment

“....scratching/rattling noise....”

If it’s from bottom left, take off stator cover....might be screw/metal chunk trapped between rotor and stator
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Welcome to the GSR.

I dont have any diagnosis for you , but do have some other comments.'

WHen stating what speed you went upto , as if maybe had effect on the engine, would be more conecrned about what engine RPM. If was top gear in an 850, would not be too concerned about 70-85-90mph.

You have not stated which modle/year you have. In vidio I see is a 2valve (per cylinder), and vidio title includes 850. I suggest adding the model/year in your singature line (goto User Control Panel), then that shoows up in your every posting.

HAvent seen the metal mesh around sparkplug wires before. Maybe for appearance, or maybe heat shield.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yep, it's kind of rhythmic, but camwalk is more clunky and quite definitely can be located to the cyl head.
              That's a odd one, right enough. I'd take the starter end cover off and see if there's anything loose or brugged.
              Worst might be a bearing going out, but it's the rhythmic nature of it gets me.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I used to have a shop stethoscope with a metal tip, you put it on different parts of the engine and it really worked well to pinpoint noise origins.

Good to have around, wish I hadn't lost mine, rthis post reminded me to replace it. Something like this:

Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                '79 GS100E
                Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                  I used to have a shop stethoscope with a metal tip, you put it on different parts of the engine and it really worked well to pinpoint noise origins.

Good to have around, wish I hadn't lost mine, rthis post reminded me to replace it. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mechanics-Ste...a-853924831423
                  My old school mechanic neighbor puts his ear on a screwdriver handle and pokes around till the noise is pinpointed.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A
                  Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

I don't know it would help, but in the video the idle speed is back to normal. Just wondering if that rhythmic scraping sound gets faster as the rpm go up. I can't imagine anything in the eng. to produce that "slow" of a rhythm. Even at idle nothing moving near that slow.
                    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Starter clutch bolts backing out ?

Worth a look-see.

Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
                      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
                      Bikecliff's website
                      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

What sort of conveyance is under discussion here?

I'm thinking vacuum leak; weird sound, high idle when hot, noises from uneven running.

Have you gone through the newbie mistakes thread? For example, your intake boots and o-rings (and the boots between the carbs and airbox) WILL need replacement if you haven't done so already. Might be a place to start if you haven't done this already.

Also valve check, etc. are mandatory for a good baseline.

As far as hard use or highway use, a GS in good shape will happily and reliably tolerate any redline flogging you can conceivably dish out on a public road for many hours and days on end. If you have to coddle it, something is bad wrong...
                        Last edited by bwringer; 08-07-2021, 12:11 PM.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Hello guys thanks for the responses and please excuse the delayed response it’s been quite a while I’ve been able to mess around with the bike other than a few test rides where the sound got a little bit worse so I parked it for a couple weeks while I caught up with other things.

The good news, I think, is that I’m currently looking at what I feel was the problem. It looks like one of the metal plates/flanges that hold the stater wire down inside of the engine case, has come loose and made contact with the stater spinning-part-thing...

however I’m stumped because when I went to tighten that wire-holding-flange... I didn’t have much if at all any tighten I’m the screw (as in they didn’t back out or anything for it to be loose) so what I did was stick a screwdriver down where it was interfering and try to push it back as best as I could I’m not sure if I did any noticeable difference.

so how did this happen? Everything on the engine side looks tight as can be hmmmm

I apologize in advance if I did a crappy job of explaining this due to Siri doing the typing for me and I just suck at explaining stuff so I’ll try to make a visual video here in a second to help explain and point out the problem areas. Thanks again guys hope this is the issue and hope I can squeeze out a few more rides before the season gets cold

Comment

Vid/better explain action of findings

Comment

Working...
                            X