Tank Bag Strapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Bag Strapping

So, I picked up a genuine Suzuki Tank Bag cheap from a guy on Face Book. It's brand new, pretty happy with it. The blue doesn't match the custom blue of my bike, but it'll do.

I have it strapped in the back OK, but the front, I'm not so sure. I have the strap going down around the little crook between the bottom of the steering head and the top of the frame down tubes. Can't really see it in the pic. This seems OK, and I doesn't bind any cables or wires. But I'm wondering, from anyone who's using a similar bag, might there be a better way? This bag does not have magnetic flaps. The strap buckle have a very nice, soft pad under them where they rest on the tank.

Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

/////////////QUOTE
    I have the strap going down around the little crook between the bottom of the steering head and the top of the frame down tubes.
    ////////////EndQUOTE

That sounds like what I did (years ago) with vintage Eclipse tank bag on 850G. My bag had a soft rubbery pad on bottom that had kinda lost its grippyness (that I assumed it had previous) and the front would slide sideways one way and other a little. THat little movement wasnt too much of a concern, the pad was smooth, but concerned if some gritt got under it. I used a cable tie around the two straps to hold the straps better against the upper frame bar.

Didnt use the tank bag much, (also had full samsonite bag and trunk, yah, suitcases), but the tank bag was quite good for holding a small cheap point-shot camera that could operate with one hand. . . .ah. um. . . .er..... nevermind.
    Last edited by Redman; 08-04-2021, 01:41 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Just down and around the top tube, or bottom tube, or whatever you have there. Close to the neck. All I've ever done.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

I'm using my old cell phone as a GPS which sits on the tank, it's heald on by a few refrigerator magnets that I glued onto the back. You could try that or get a larger one to put inside the bag, a reclaimed speaker magnet would probably do the job.
        1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
        1982 GS450txz (former bike)
        LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I am a Antitankbagger. I never liked them and never will. I would never put something on my paint that will adventualy wear away at it. Plus, you have to remove it to get to your gas cap. I think it takes away the look of the motorcycle. But hey, Function is the Fashion...
          My Motorcycles:
          22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
          22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
          82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
          81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
          79 1000e (all original)
          82 850g (all original)
          80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

I hear ya Norm. I’m still not sure I like it better than the big black bag I had on the rack behind the seat rest. I went for a ride with it last night and rode it to work today. I thought I would mind it being there but I really didn’t notice it. You only have to release the front right buckle to get to the filler cap. It’s really easy. The concern about the paint is real.

LAB, I have a phone holder on the bars. The magnets inside the bag is a great idea. I may try that and forgo the straps.

Bob and Dave, thanks for your thoughts.
            Rich
            1982 GS 750TZ
            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

I have a magnetic tank bag, which i leave on all the time now.
              It's got a strap which just snap-buckles around the steering head, no problem.
              Fuelling is easy, and the paint on this tank is needing done anyway, so that's not a problem.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by LAB3 View Post
                I'm using my old cell phone as a GPS which sits on the tank, it's heald on by a few refrigerator magnets that I glued onto the back. You could try that or get a larger one to put inside the bag, a reclaimed speaker magnet would probably do the job.
                That's way simple and awesome. I always thought magnets and phones did not play well together.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

a piece of flannel underneath? (or that soft,polishy hairy cloth for wax polishing)? Pretty much anything is going to rub the tank if the bag moves at all,and good magnets seem better than straps. Not that I like mine for looks and seldom use it except on the back seat.

...I can't think of much bothered by magnets in a smartphone except the compass sensor and it's useless anyways near a bike. The AC from the engine coils might be worse if anything does bother it. But if anyone knows for sure it'd be interesting.
                  Last edited by Gorminrider; 08-05-2021, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Just to clarify for the electronics guys out there, The phone is inside a silicone case and the magnets are glued to that. All I use it for is GPS and the FM radio when I'm out camping.
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I use a phone holder on my car that is a magnet. There’s a thin steel plate between the phone back and my Otterbox phone case. I get in the car, plop the phone onto the holder, works great. No issues that I know of with the magnet/phone.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Working...
                      X